“Good Choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
White Plains, New York
“Good Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Hotel Monaco and we were pleased with our stay. The location was great, the common areas wonderfully classic, the room small but well appointed.

What we liked most was friendly and knowledgible staff.

I tipped the bell hop when we left and he was reluctant to accept the tip claiming he did nothing to deserve it but I pointed out that his big smile was enough for me.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

We were so pleased with the staff, and the room. Everyone was so helpful, and attention was paid to every detail. This trip was in celebration of our anniversary and on one of the 3 days they provided a bottle of champaigne and some chocolates in the room with a nice note. The bed was comfortable, shower was hot, WiFi worked without a problem. They made good recommendations for shuttle back to the airport, as well as recommendations for local restaurants and entertainment.

I had some concern after reading online about the problems a few blocks away with the Tenderloin district, but we walked to the north and east for everything we did and had no problems. There are homeless people asking for spare change on the streets, but no more than in other parts of town, and they really caused no trouble. There are so many things to do and see in SF, and we felt our location was a good one, with plenty of options for a variety of food within a few blocks, and the trolley station and a mall are just a few blocks away. We would be happy to return to the Monaco or another SF trip!

• Stayed June 2012
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

The Hotel Monaco is a wonderful hotel - the service is fantastic, great location, love the leopard print robes :) I thought the rooms were sufficient in size and I loved the wine service each afternoon - what a nice touch. I will only stay here from now on when I visit San Francisco.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I'm writing this as I have my last breakfast at this hotel and must say I never want to leave! Read other reviews and you know this hotel is perfectly situated in the middle of everything. I've never stayed at a kimpton and if the others are anything like this hotel I will only be staying at kimpton from now on. I was here two nights on business and had a delayed flight coming in. I checked in at 9 pm after traveling all day. Vanessa at the front desk made me feel relaxed and at home as soon as I walked through the door. She was not only friendly but genuinely interested in how I was feeling and if there was any way she could make my day better. She certainly did! The most surprising thing is that the next evening when I returned from a long day of meetings she had remembered our conversation, followed up on her dinner recommendation, and made me feel like I was coming home. I had the same sense of relief walking through the doors of this hotel. The sushi restaurant she recommended was fantastic, by the way, and overall I felt like I was treated with utmost respect and kindness. The rest of the staff all over the hotel was equally as kind and gracious. This hotel is charming and warm without sacrificing any standard amenities you would get at fancy "beige" hotels. I'm going to stay here again next time I'm in San Francisco, business or pleasure!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank NattynatKus
Hotel_Monaco_GM, Manager at The Marker San Francisco, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
We wish you didn't leave! Thank you for much for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed our central locaiton, and although on a business trip, were able to still enjoy yourself and have a good time. Thank you for mentioning Vanessa and the service she provided during the interactions you had with her. We love her too! And I'm glad to hear all of your interactions with other staff members were equally kind and gracious. I'm not sure how often your business brings you to San Francisco, but we are happy to be your home away from home when it does. We look forward to your next stay!
Wagontown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

It's a nice hotel. Great service. Rooms are okay -- junior suite is highly recommended because standard rooms are small by comparison. Centrally located. Forget driving and take public transportation. Parking is very expensive -- $50 a day is really pushing it.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to a junior suite.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chuck W
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to California. I'm disappointed to hear everything was just "okay" though. It sounds like you enjoyed the hotel and the guest service we provided, which I am very glad to hear. Just as you stated, I also encourage all of our guests to opt for public transportation if that is an option. Parking in Downtown San Francisco can be pricey, and although there are many public lots for parking in our central location, our valet parking is $50 for 24 hours. We are located close to many bus, cable car and BART lines so it's very easy to get to us if you fly into SFO or the Oakland Airport.

As you mention as well, we do have an array of room sizes, so if space is important, I agree, please opt for a suite. I hope the weather was nice while you were in town and you will able to see all San Francisco has to offer. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us!