“Pleasant stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore, Singapore
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in end April. Location was good - lots of restaurants and cafes nearby, Union Square and Westfield Shopping Centre was 5 mins away by foot. We liked that there was a Walgreens across the street :). Room was small for the price though, but we knew this already. The complimentary wine reception everyday at 5pm was nice although I wish they served local wines from nearby rather than Chilean.

I am rating this property Average not because we had some negative experiences, but because our stay in Hotel Monaco Seattle was Excellent in comparison. So I would still recommend and come back to a Kimpton Hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Monaco_GM, Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write your review. I am disappointed to hear you had just an average stay with us, but am glad to hear that it is not because anything negative happened during your stay. I do understand that hotel experiences vary and are glad to hear your stay at the Monaco Seattle was excellent.

Regarding your comments about our Complimentary Manager Hosted Wine Reception, the wine is changed each month. Kimpton has a program called "Wines that Care" and each winery has been selected, not just for its great-tasting wines, but for its social consciousness. As you mentioned, we are centrally located near many restaurants, Union Square, and the Westfield Shopping Center. I am glad you were able to enjoy your two night stay and I do hope that you continue visiting Kimpton Hotels and hopefully us when you are in San Francisco next.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I am a big fan of the Monaco hotels (have stayed at them in SF, Seattle, and Denver), and would happily stay at any one of them again if I had the choice. The one of San Francisco has small rooms (which is typical for hotels in SF in general), but besides that, I was very pleased. Room service was great, and I love the boutique-y details (pet-friendly, that you can have a goldfish delivered to your room to keep you company, the jazz music playing when I arrived in my room, the wine in the evenings). The location of the hotel is also great.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2012

A great location, 2 minute walk down Geary Street from Union Square. We had a superior room that was quite small, but that as expected for an older building in a historic city. The room itself was ver comfortable and clean and acted as a lovely base for our 3 days in San Francisco. The service was excellent with friendly and attentive staff. The offer of the Hotel car (limo) to take us back to the airport at almost the same cost as a cab, was a great touch and a nice end to our holiday. We will definately stay again on our next visit to SF.

Room Tip: Book a higher floor room away from elevators
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Heusden-Zolder, Belgium
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

A good location, good service, nice rooms. I recommend this hotel

Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
NYC
Reviewed 16 May 2012

So I booked a Queen Deluxe and requested to be on a pet free floor and in a room facing inward to avoid the noise. Those requests were honored. Check in was quick. When I got to the room I could not believe how small the room was...well I could because I read the reviews on TA but I didn't want to believe them. Also be aware the room I was in only had shutters covering the windows, this is a problem for people who like to sleep in the dark like me. The bed was very comfortable, the bedding and pillows were great. The bath products in the room are my favorite (Aveda). Be aware there is no where to put any of your clothes in this small room and hardly any space to put your luggage, thank god for the closet (requested extra hangers). The bathroom (pocket door) was an average size with good hot water, decent water pressure. I do think for a hotel this nice and pricey they should have softer towels. It was nice to have a mini bar in the room, there was room to stash some of your own drinks in the mini fridge. You are able to adjust the temperature of your room which is nicer than just a fan.
So over the next night there were some problems, when we mentioned them to the manager on duty we were upgraded which was really great. The new room was a suite, really amazing. My advice would be to spend the extra money and upgrade, you will be happy you did. Our new room faced Geary street so it had blackout curtains. There was a little noise from the street but not a big deal. Since we moved to a different floor there were different toiletries (C.O.Bigelow). Favorite part about my stay was the free coffee and tea in the morning, which is available until about 11am I think and the wine happy hour from 5-6pm each night. They also provide you with most toiletries if you forgot any, nice touch!
I had dinner one night at the restaurant and it was excellent.
The location of the hotel is great, very safe. The staff is overly attentive and always there to help.
I would only stay at this hotel again if I got a suite at a good rate.

Room Tip: Get a suite! If you like your room dark at night/morning ask for a room facing a main Street.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UMgirl
Hotel_Monaco_GM, Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience when staying with us. I am glad all of your room requests were honored from your original booking. The Queen Deluxe rooms are one of our smaller rooms, as you mentioned and are mainly interior rooms as well. I understand you moved to a suite, and I am very glad you enjoyed the more spacious option. As you mentioned, if room size is an important factor when choosing a room category, I do encourage our guests to select one of our five suite categories- three of which do have a door that divides the bedroom area from the seating area.

I am glad you enjoyed the amenities and were satisfied with the water pressure in your room. I noted your comments about the honor bar not having enough room for any personal items, and in the future, please let us know if you would like it emptied out in advance for personal use. We'd be happy to accommodate any request to ensure your stay is more comfortable. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the Complimentary Coffee/Tea service in the morning and the Complimentary Manager Hosted Wine Reception in the evenings. I see you were traveling from NYC, and I hope that we will see you during your next stay in San Francisco.