“Just OK, a bit overpriced”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #67 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Carlsbad, California
“Just OK, a bit overpriced”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed on business travel in July '12. Attended a workshop at the hotel.

Rate was $369/night which is high for the area. Room was clean and basic - like dressed up Ikea, which I've come to expect from W Hotels worldwide. The gym was small but functional. Get used to club/house music whenever you leave your room - it's in the lobby, in the elevators and eventually in your mind whether you want it or not.

Bar - I enjoyed the 2nd level bar where we had a reception, although a larger selection of draft beers would be nice.

The conference room wifi was terrible, just terrible. They had a wifi port limit less than the number of attendees, even though the sponsor asked for the "premium" package. Throughout out the day the attendees were getting rejected when they tried to connect. Totally unacceptable - this is SF after all where connectivity is offered nearly everywhere. In today's day and age, you need at least 2 wifi ports per attendee.

I do 50-60 nights of business travel annually and there are a few things I expect from a business class hotel (or one charging such a high rate):

1. Quality wifi - mixed bag. The room wifi was great, but as I mentioned the conference room wifi was terrible.

2. Coffee and coffee maker. The room had no coffee or coffee maker, choosing instead to stock the room with a ridiculous amount of alcohol.

3. Power. I'm always traveling with 3-10 devices that need to be powered every night. I hate having to search for outlets, unplug a lamp or charge in the bathroom. The workspace at the W is excellent with a double strip of outlets. Whoever designed this deserves a reward.

4. Iron and Ironing board - both available in the room.

5. Quality TV - flat panel inset above the workspace, kind of a tough viewing angle.

I would recommend you check out some neighboring hotels which I've stayed at for lower rates and are as nice as the W: Grand Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at W San Francisco. We appreciate the feedback!

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to our UPSTAIRS bar, the vibe and drink selection does vary from our popular Living Room scene. I am sorry to hear about your experiences with our conference room wireless internet. We pride ourselves on hosting many tech conferences, as well many tech based guests. Quick and available high speed internet is of course extremely important. I will be sure to pass along your feedback.

We do have in room coffee makers available at no additional charge, and next time you stay with us you can easily order one from Whatever/Whenever direct from your room.

As a frequent traveler myself, I agree that the power strips in room are an amazing asset. I do hope next time you are in the San Francisco area you consider staying with us again. I know the experience that we provide is utterly unique in San Francisco.

Brad
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Just an incredible staff at an incredible hotel who know exactly how to cater to business travelers. The FDA (Rawan) was so friendly, accommodating and genuine - all staff so personable and helpful - this is an above and beyond W property. There is a reason people are so loyal to this brand and the W San Fran is a big part of that.

Room Tip: Walk in with a smile and this hotel will drop everything to make your stay incredible.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post this epic review of W San Francisco. We appreciate the compliments, and we do love having business travelers stay with us.

It is always a pleasure when our guests love both the brand, and W San Francisco. I hope you to welcome you back soon!

Brad W
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

I was fortunate to be upgraded to a very large suite overlooking the bay bridge which certainly enhanced my stay. The hotel itself was clean and the staff was friendly. It has a convenient location and checks most of the boxes.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I was really disappointed at my recent stay at the W SF. I've stayed at other W hotels and the SF branch is far from the W experience I'm used to. The decor dubbed 'trendy' hasn't been maintained well so the hotel looks almost kitschy / borderline tacky. The service was spotty as well.

Here is a summary of the poor service / experience:

1/ The valet guys were slow in acknowledging help with our bags for checkin. Seemed disorganized in receiving new guests.

2/ There were no slippers in the room and not enough amenities for 2 people. I called to request slippers and add'l amenities from housekeeping and they brought up slippers but instead of add'l amenities, they brought face cloths instead. wth.

3/ I noticed stains on my bath towel and on my bedsheets. Pictures provided.

4/ Upon checkout, there was one person working the front desk at 8am. I'd assumed this would be peak time. When a staff member walked out of the back room, we had assumed she would see the line and help. Instead she pretended she didn't see the line and ignored us when we asked a question. Someone on the floor noticed this rude behavior and quickly came over to assist us.

Overall, here are 2 recommendations to the W SF management:

1/ Train your staff!!! they work in hospitality at a W branded hotel. They are not up to W standards.

2/ Spend some money maintaining your property. also, stains on towels and sheets are not acceptable.

Next time I'm in SF, I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Teresa L
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of you recent stay with us. I am dismayed to read about your experience with W San Francisco, we usually receive great feedback on both our rooms and our Talent.

Although these issues are not typical of a stay with us, we will be sure to use your comments to better future stays.

I do invite you back to W San Francisco next time you are in the area, I know we can provide you with a really amazing stay.

Brad W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Spent 3 nights here in 2 separate stays in the space of 1 week. A big point for me were good soundproofing in the rooms. The hotel was busy and buzzing in the lobby at all times, but near the rooms it was relatively peaceful. There was a family with children staying in the room next to us, and they were clearly not trying to be quiet, yet even though I can hear the sounds, it was muffled enough that it didn't bother me very much. I've stayed in other hotels where noises like that would sound like they were in the same room as us.

Other Pros - convenient location, friendly staff, good use of space in the room layout.
Cons - low shower pressure and badly designed sink area whereby water kept getting everywhere and dripping onto the floor.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends