“Large Comfortable Suite” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
“Large Comfortable Suite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

I was fortunate to be upgraded to a very large suite overlooking the bay bridge which certainly enhanced my stay. The hotel itself was clean and the staff was friendly. It has a convenient location and checks most of the boxes.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I was really disappointed at my recent stay at the W SF. I've stayed at other W hotels and the SF branch is far from the W experience I'm used to. The decor dubbed 'trendy' hasn't been maintained well so the hotel looks almost kitschy / borderline tacky. The service was spotty as well.

Here is a summary of the poor service / experience:

1/ The valet guys were slow in acknowledging help with our bags for checkin. Seemed disorganized in receiving new guests.

2/ There were no slippers in the room and not enough amenities for 2 people. I called to request slippers and add'l amenities from housekeeping and they brought up slippers but instead of add'l amenities, they brought face cloths instead. wth.

3/ I noticed stains on my bath towel and on my bedsheets. Pictures provided.

4/ Upon checkout, there was one person working the front desk at 8am. I'd assumed this would be peak time. When a staff member walked out of the back room, we had assumed she would see the line and help. Instead she pretended she didn't see the line and ignored us when we asked a question. Someone on the floor noticed this rude behavior and quickly came over to assist us.

Overall, here are 2 recommendations to the W SF management:

1/ Train your staff!!! they work in hospitality at a W branded hotel. They are not up to W standards.

2/ Spend some money maintaining your property. also, stains on towels and sheets are not acceptable.

Next time I'm in SF, I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Teresa L
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of you recent stay with us. I am dismayed to read about your experience with W San Francisco, we usually receive great feedback on both our rooms and our Talent.

Although these issues are not typical of a stay with us, we will be sure to use your comments to better future stays.

I do invite you back to W San Francisco next time you are in the area, I know we can provide you with a really amazing stay.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Spent 3 nights here in 2 separate stays in the space of 1 week. A big point for me were good soundproofing in the rooms. The hotel was busy and buzzing in the lobby at all times, but near the rooms it was relatively peaceful. There was a family with children staying in the room next to us, and they were clearly not trying to be quiet, yet even though I can hear the sounds, it was muffled enough that it didn't bother me very much. I've stayed in other hotels where noises like that would sound like they were in the same room as us.

Other Pros - convenient location, friendly staff, good use of space in the room layout.
Cons - low shower pressure and badly designed sink area whereby water kept getting everywhere and dripping onto the floor.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

My First trip to SF. W is an excellent base for meetings downtown and then to explore. Room had real character and a great view? Housekeeping service is excellent. Bar has a buzz and service throughout is first class.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Hello, and thank you for choosing W San Francisco for your first visit to San Francisco! I am glad your stay with us was great, and I hope that you come back for your second (and every!) trip to the Bay Area.

Have a great day,
Chapel Hill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed here on points and had requested a suite upgrade. Our suite on the 23rd floor was very nice - two full bathrooms, high window seats deep enough for lounging looking out over the city, good views. The majority of the windows had wood shutters, a nice touch, and the bed as low but comfortable. Both bathroooms were clean, two robes were provided, plenty of towels and bath products, etc.

Cons: the 42" TV in the bedroom didn't work without the settings being changed. Even after fixing once, my husband had to reset them again during our four-night stay. The front desk is chronically understaffed and is not empowered - they have to check with "management" to do anything. The maid changed the radio station on the Bang & Olefson radio - which was wierd enough that it took some time to figure out how to change it back. If you don't want to deal with this, leave the radio on - we found this made it so that if they changed the radio station, they at least changed it back. Also, the lobby being a bar made it loud - do not expect walking into the lobby to be a refuge from the city - it is much louder than the traffic noise outside. It seemed constantly crowded with businessmen in for something - and drinking already at 5:00 pm - so women, expect to be oggled when you're walking to the elevator bank. If you don't want to be oggled, I might recommend the St. Regis next door.

There is no lounge at this location - as far as we can tell, the only Starwood property with a member lounge in San Francisco is the Palace, which was sold out during our stay. No breakfast or breakfast discount was provided for Starwood members. There are many other options for breakfast close which are a substantially better value than eating in the hotel (try the Peet's on the other side of MOMA/St. Regis).

It was a central location for us, and we enjoyed our stay for the most part. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay with us. I am so glad we were able to accommodate your request for an upgrade, we love having SPG members stay with us.

Our Living Room does have a vibrant nightlife scene, but it is always important that our guests feel comfortable. While we do have an entrance through the Living Room, there is also the main entrance to the Welcome Desk that leads right over to the elevators.

I do hope you stay with us again next time you are in the San Francisco area. I know the W experience is unique, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thanks again,