“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #102 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
New Orleans, Louisiana
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days while in town for a conference. The frugal traveler may appreciate the savings. However, I was staying here for business and honestly even if it was out of my own pocket upgrading to higher quality hotel would be well worth the money.

I get it that there are many older hotels in SF and I did not have high expectations. I honestly felt as though I was walking into a former brothel complete with the look and smell. Small tight hallways, loud doors shutting very close to me (all hours of day and night), very tight twin room and bigger but equally as akward gueen "executive suite". My first room did not have an AC and my second one had a portable AC which leaked water all over the floor. I had to run it constantly however due to the central radiator heat system (yes I said radiator). This made for a musty room and the smell was already poor upon move in. Furthermore I had zero view and there were very few windows in the hotel period making for a gloomy, low lighting, musty place.

In fairness the bed and bathroom were clean and the location was great but overall this is a 2 star hotel with the comporable 4 star price of any other city and honestly I rather pay $100 more per night to feel like I had a fresh air environment with light etc....

I lived with it because I was by myself and rarely in the room but I would NOT take my girlfriend here - no way.

Room Tip: Try elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jfc073
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear guest- Please accepts my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that you experience. We value our guests and would like the opportunity to better serve you in the future. I appreciate that you’ve brought your experience to our attention. It is never our intention for any guest to feel less than thrilled with our accommodation at Hotel Union Square and we hope for another opportunity to improve your experience. It may please you to know that we have many different styles and sizes of rooms and I am sure we have the perfect one for you. Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next trip and I will personally take care of your accommodations.

Hotel manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Hebrew first
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I enjoyed two nights at the Hotel Union Square while attending a conference. The entrance is easy to miss tucked in between shops and restaurants, but the hotel is larger than it appears. My room faced Powell Street, so you hear all the sounds of the city including cable cars. I recommend getting a room that doesn't face the street if you're a light sleeper. The bed was very comfy, and I ended up sleeping like a rock. The staff was very friendly and courteous. I enjoyed the complimentary wine from 5pm-6pm in the lobby. So, if you want a charming boutique experience in the fabulous location of Union Square, this is a good bet. I signed up online for the Personality Hotels club and received some nice welcoming treats my first night.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed there over spring break with my toddler and it was great! The staff was super helpfull and accommodating! The room was very small, but comfortable with a nice bed, dark shades, flat screen tv, safe and desk. The bathroom was small, but also comfortable.... I just wish the had a mini fridge in the room - it would be great with a small child, to be able to store some fresh fruits and drinks.

GREAT GREAT GREAT location! One block away from the final stop fot the cable cars, buses, nice stores and a variety of places to eat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank J R
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear guest- We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a nice review about your recent visit to the Hotel Union Square. As for the mini-fridge; we do offer a refrigerator per guest’s request at the front desk. Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager
Bellflower
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

This was the second time we stayed here. This time we upgraded to the PENTHOUSE SUITE. Huge space(700)sq ft and had a porch. It was very spacious and comfortable for the most part. The "living room" has a huge couch that folds out into a queen bed,and a small bar in it.Huge flat screens in both rooms! As you go up the small steps there's a desk for you laptop,love the free wifi! After that it leads to the bed room,has a door for privacy from the rest of the suite. There is one bathroom with 2 doors (entry through bedroom and desk area,both lock).

pros:
-spacious
-privacy
-comfortable
-best beds!
-cute decor
-free tea in the morning and free wine at 5pm!!
-parking lot in the back
-close to the tour buses
-Loris diner is right across the street

cons:
-bar area in horrible condition/cabinets falling apart
-a large bulb was broken on our porch,there was glass everywhere. After I called to notify them they never sent someone up to clean it.
-views are not that great from the porch area ,unless your into views of only the roof.
-porch furniture was horribly uncomfortable and table was broken in half and held together with wires.
-not really worth the $435.00 per night unless you're with a large group. The room suite 4 guest but it can really fit up to 8 with all the extra large couch space,roll away, and lounge seats in the room.

Anyways,its local to all the shopping spots and bars. I'd probably stay there again only because the beds are soo comfy!!! Oh yeah and the customer service isn't bad :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
San Francisco is a wonderful area to visit offering a wonderful variety of dining, shopping and attractions to explore. Your detailed comments provide us a better understanding regarding your experience and we will take this opportunity to learn from them in order to provide a better stay for you on your next stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your kind comments and your helpful tips.

All the best,

Hotel manager
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Overall a excellent Hotel . On arrival we were given the option of a road or courtyard view. We opted for the roadside view. It was a little noisy at times but we expected that as it is in a major city. The staff in the hotel were all superb and cannot be faulted. The room was not huge however it served the purpose for what we wanted it for. The room was cleaned daily and the bed was comfortable to sleep in. The hotel put on fresh coffee in the morning and wine in the evening in the lobby area.
The location is superb. The BART train station is a few minutes walk away. We used the BART for both journeys to and from the airport. We found it very easy to use and the journey took around 30 mins costing just over 8 dollars each way. The cable car station and Union Square are only a few yards away from the hotel door along with a various selection of restaurants.
We would definately recommend this Hotel and would use it again if we were to visit San Francisco again.
We would also recommend a tour which we done which was to Monterey and Carmel. We done this on our first day and was a great start to our holiday. It was great driving down the coast with some simply amazing views. Alcatraz is also a must.
We managed to walk accross the Golden Gate Bridge which took around 30 minutes and i feel is the best way to see it.
An excellent hotel and a simply amazing holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple