“Just as good second time around”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #66 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Essex
“Just as good second time around”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I visited the triton 15 years ago and wanted to return with our 12year old daughter. It was just as wonderful this time as it was 15years ago. The rooms small but very well done and lots of fun. The afternoon wine sessions make the stay even more enjoyable. The staff fantastic and very helpful. Will definitely be back

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

stayed here for 3 nights 7th - 9th Sept 12. Themed hotel did not know what to expect - Very impressed. Great service. rooms good and very clean. Location is brilliant right across from China town gates - 2 blocks from cable cars - direct stop on hop on hop off bus tours. would defo stay again.

Room Tip: Give it a go - Great Place
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 September 2012

It was truly a pleasure to be greeted so nicely at the curb, check in, and every time I came back to the hotel. I typically don't expect so many greetings during my stays, but in this case, it was a pleasant surprise and made a big difference. Definitely made me feel welcome and appreciated

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a room further from the elevator. As many buildings in SF have proven, soun...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I will get to the room review in a second..but first wanted to talk about the service....outstanding from start to finish...personal note in my room, valet service was speedy and friendly! I left my iPhone charger in the car, so they said they would retrieve it for me (and did within minutes). Staff were helpful in recommendations, and even e-mailed me a few prior to my arrival.

In terms of the hotel...yes it's an old reconditioned hotel (old bathtub, small bathroom), but they made the best of the layout, it's quiet, the bed is super comfortable, and the reno is funky and cooll. Coffee Service in the morning, wine reception in the early evening...super close to Union Square and Chinatown (and a Starbucks across the street). One of the better hotels I have stayed in during travels to San Francisco!

Room Tip: sign in to be a kimpton in touch member for free wi-fi and better room access!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I have stayed at Kimptons before and I like unique hotels. So, we thought we would move over here after our room block was up at a generic hotel we were staying at for a wedding. Bad idea.

The first person that greeted us seemed really friendly and nice. Even though everyone around us was allowed to check-in, they told us we had to wait for a pet-free room. No big deal, we just checked our luggage and went on our way.

When we came back around 6pm, we had a different person who was much less friendly and less on-the-ball. We had to make sure our room, this time, was the pet-free one we were waiting for. When we got to it, we realize it was very small, which we had expected. What we didn't expect was how run-down it was. The pain job was crappy - peeling and parts, painted on the tile in others. Our toilet paper holder had graffiti written on it, which, didn't go with the aesthetic so I don't think it was intentional, but you never know. Our pet and allergy free room had a not-so-allergy-friendly moldy bathroom (and not just little bits of mold in the shower, a giant splotch of mold on the wall - see photo).

There were also lots of super annoying things - like the windows don't have screens. So, if you want to get air, you need to also let in 100 flying insects. Our bathroom door handle was falling off, so I kept getting nervous I was going to get locked in there forever. And, finally, the most annoying, we had a "Raid the Mini-Bar" certificate for being In Touch members. However, they locked our mini-bar. I think it's far more annoying to have a perk that doesn't work than than to not have a perk at all. Especially combined with everything else.

We didn't book discount, we booked on the Kimpton website because we wanted a quality experience - this was certainly not it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth K
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear Elizabeth K ~ Boy did we drop the ball. I’m so sorry to hear about your experience. I’m sure you read other reviews on Trip Advisor and can see that this is not a typical experience for us. Once I read and saw what you had experienced I immediately shared it with my team and corrected the problems. I hope this will not keep you from thinking of us should your plans ever bring you back to San Francisco. With that said please reach out to me directly as it would be my pleasure to personally assist you with your accommodations and giving you the experience that you deserve.
Antonio Flores