“My fav hotel in SF”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“My fav hotel in SF”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I travel to SF 3 or 4 times a year and have stayed at many different places and just default here all the time now as the best and most consistent service and experience.

The last stay in May on vacation with my wife was no exception. I tend to prefer to not stay in the tower as I like the rooms in the main section with the higher ceilings and view of Union Square.

Room Tip: Ask to not be in the tower
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank arneg
, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear arneg,

We are just thrilled to learn that you continually choose to stay with us when traveling to San Francisco. It is great to hear that you enjoy our Landmark Building with it’s storied history and amazing architecture. Thank you very much for your loyalty!

We look forward to assisting you on your future stays in San Francisco. If you should need anything upon your next stay please don’t hesitate to contact me by phone at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Director of Rooms, The Westin St. Francis
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I have stayed at the St Francis many times over 40 years but this trip I had no choice as it was the conference hotel for the group I was part of. The changed Decor is primarily in the Powell Street lobby and features little seating which is a shame after guests have trudged the hills. My room was a queen single in the old part of the hotel which I recommend. The bath is large, the bed great and just enough room for everything the single traveler needs to do or bring with them. The closet has no door but with no guests that was not a problem. Many of the maids have challenges with English but they try hard to communicate. Prices for the restaurants are top of the line. The exercise facility is quite nice and large but not large enough for peak periods. Taxi service is a take a number and wait with unruly line management. Storing bags was efficient and quick. Location is good especially for a property centric meeting, however some of the exhibit spaces could use better lighting. All meeting services included break catering were well done.

Room Tip: Be sure to try the historic older portion.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank James C
Dear brownman6,

We really appreciate you spending the time to review your experience during your last stay at the Westin St. Francis. I am just delighted to understand that you have continued to be our loyal guest during the past 40 years. We are truly honored to have maintained such a strong relationship with you and are so glad to read how much you enjoy our Landmark Building. Our Westin WORKOUT is a recent addition and it is great to hear that you had the chance to enjoy it. You have touched on so many different aspects of what our hotel has to offer and we are glad you took the time to share your experience for others to view, as well as giving me the opportunity to share it with our associates so we may continue to exceed our guest’s expectations.

We look forward to hosting you on your future stays at The Westin St. Francis. Should you need any assistance you may contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2012

My wife and I are frequent travelers, and we've stayed at a countless number of Westin Hotels both in the US and outside. So when we had to make last minute hotel reservations in San Francisco we didn't give it much thought and booked 2 nights here. What a mistake. This hotel is not what we'd come to expect of Westin hotels. It's old and antiquated, and the rooms are in dire need of a renovation. Our room had a musty odor, and the rug looked like it wasn't cleaned since the 1960s. The noise from the street was unbearable, and when we complained to the front desk, they only replied that it would stop after 10 PM. You could not pay us enough to stay here again, and we're very disappointed that this hotel is considered part of the Westin chain.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MishandGore S
Dear MishandGore S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Westin St. Francis. I was terribly disappointed to understand your experience with us and would certainly appreciate an opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your visit. I would earnestly welcome such an opportunity so I may understand your challenges in further detail. It would be my pleasure to speak with you.

Superior, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

I just spent three nights at this property and was extremely disappointed. For the price I paid, it was not worth it. My bathroom looked like a chia pet with all the long black hairs. The Heavenly Bed was everything but heavenly and the overall room just felt very cramped. I will not return.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Supmariners
Dear Submariners,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin St. Francis. I sincerely apologize for the cleanliness of your room when you arrived at our hotel. While it is never pleasant to read a negative review, I sincerely appreciate the fact you have taken the time to provide it. Feedback allows me to focus upon anything less than outstanding so I may meet with the appropriate departments and assist to correct inconsistencies.

If you plan to visit San Francisco in the future, it would be my pleasure to assist you with future reservations to exceed your expectations. Please contact me by phone at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

ATL
Reviewed 16 June 2012

The Westin St. Francis is classic San Francisco. From the moment you enter the lobby, you’ll feel the history and class of this hotel. The service is fantastic and the restaurants/bars are outstanding. This Union Square location is second to none, it doesn’t get any better or more convenient. I travel for business and/or pleasure 10+ days a month, and the St. Francis is one of my favorites.

Room Tip: The higher floors offer great views from any direction. Generally, I prefer the tower.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank McKay49
Dear Patrick M,

We are so glad to read that you continue to return to The Westin St. Francis for both business and pleasure. We completely agree with you regarding our iconic history, fantastic service and perfect location.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. We look forward to hosting you for your future visits to San Francisco. If you should need any assistance please reach out to me by phone at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.