“Quite Possibly the Perfect Hotel....”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #65 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Quite Possibly the Perfect Hotel....”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed at this property for two days in town for business. I wish I could have been able to spend more time enjoying the hotel. Sadly, as business duties called, I was in my room for only when I needed to be to catch some sleep.

I flew in on September 9th and the hotel staff was extremely gracious and accommodating. Check in process was seamless and my room was ready when I arrived. I have stayed at a few JW Marriott's before but this one was the most comfortable to date. The room was perfectly sized, the bathroom was very nice and comfortable - it was not too big; it had a great bathtub perfect for soaking my tired bones, and the lighting was ideal.

The bed was one of the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on. I slept so well for the time I was in there, wish I could have been in bed longer. The best part was the true blackout curtains. Pitch black even middle of the day. The hotel did this right - and I was very grateful for it. Also many times in hotels while you are in your room, other guests can be fairly loud. At this hotel, I barely heard anything when in my room, except for the person in the adjacent room leaving once and not being kind to catch the door before it slammed (really, people?).

I ate at the restaurant, and while pricey, the service was fast, and the food was good. However, I would probably only eat at Level III again if I was in a pinch, which I was when I returned from working an event and on my feet for 19 hours straight. Food was essential - quickly - and they delivered.

I also received numerous packages for the event that required being loaded into my vehicle. The staff was extremely helpful to assist with this. When I returned from the event, I had even more boxes - perhaps double the amount - that needed to be shipped back to the office. The staff was outstanding in offering their assistance. Mike in particular at the bellstand literally stood in the entrance drive with me sorting through all of the boxes as I affixed shipping labels. He then kindly loaded them onto a cart to take to the back shipping area to await for the driver the next day. SO HELPFUL, and I truly appreciated his additional attention to my needs.

If I had to be picky about anything with this property, I would say it was the shower stall. It was pretty tight quarters, and there simply wasn't anywhere to put my stuff. The metal grate tray screwed into the wall was loose, thus it drooped at an angle. It wouldn't hold even my trial size toiletries without falling to the floor. It would be #1 - helpful to repair this in room #1212, and #2 - I would recommend installing a small corner shelf in the back corner of the stall that would hold at least a few small bottles - 3 perhaps - so that they are in reach easily. That shelf could also be used for shaving, so that there is more of an angle for bending over.

My final recommendation to those staying at the hotel is to really consider if you need a rental car or not. The charge, with tax, for valet parking was $69.54 per night. I'm not joking! The public transportation in San Francisco is excellent, and if you must have a rental car, there are options like zipcar or gocar for hourly rentals, or there is even a rental facility a block away for Hertz and other major rental car companies. I'm just sayin'.....if you need a car for the day, rent it, return it, and avoid the valet fees. I only had a car because I was in town for business, but good gravy that is steep. And I can think of several different ways that I could spend $70 per day - and valet parking isn't one of them.

I hope that one day in the near future that work will bring me back to the JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square hotel....and that I have more time to enjoy one of my favorite cities - and to spend a little more time indulging myself in this lavish facility. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank leoclab
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed here for three nights. The hotel is a solid 4 star hotel. I would not go above that. Noise kept me up at night and woke me up early in the morning so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to bring some ear plugs or stay elsewhere. Housekeeping did a great job. Did not really interact with front staff so do not really have an opinion. I had a really good rate so I can't really complain.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at this wonderful hotel on Labor Day Weekend and we had such an amazing time. The location of the hotel is perfect, it is located near many restaurants, shopping, and nightlife. Transportation is also located everywhere in the form of the MUNI, BART, and cable streetcars. San Francisco is a very walkable city, many sights such as the Fisherman's Warf, Embarcadero Center, and North Beach are easily walkable from the J W Marriott, although if you mind walking long distances, I wouldn't recommend it.

There is a great breakfast place going up further on Post Street, which serves breakfast all day, a great place to head to after a night out.

As for the hotel itself, the hotel was excellent. We stayed on the Club Level, giving us access to a special lounge which served breakfast, dinner, and drinks. The hotel has great amenities, outstanding fitness center, and the hotel is very clean and well-stocked with everything you need or may forget to bring with you. Additonally, the hotel is located right across the street from Ruby Skye, so for those of you who love nightclubs and nightlife, it doesn't get any better than Ruby Skye in San Francisco.

I highly recommend staying at this property.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed for five nights and had an enjoyable stay. Upon arrival the front desk greeted us and promptly checked us in, even though we were early for their check-in times. We were also upgraded to a junior suite since it seemed they didn't have a normal king room clean at that time. We were also given suggestion for lunch and directions to places we were heading to that afternoon.

The junior suite room was very spacious and clean. From the reviews it sounds like the hotel has been updated, but I am not sure when. The room as a little noisy, we were on the 9th floor at the corner of Sutter and Powell. We could hear the troll going by. It didn't bother us since we got back into the room after the troll stopped service for most days and wanted to be up early. The service started at 6 AM.

The location is perfect. It is block away from Union Square that has tons of shopping. Right across the street is a 7-11 and Walgreen's for any items you might have forgotten to pack or for a grab and go snack. About 10 dollars (including tip) to get down to the Wharf from the hotel via taxi. Make sure you know all the cross streets the hotel is on because taxi drivers in this city seem lost. We found we had to give directions to taxi drivers.

As for parking, I am not sure why anybody would pay the $49 (plus tax and any tips)a day that the hotel is charging for parking! There is a private garage next door on Sutter that is charging $39 and that includes tax and unlimited in and out privileges for 24 hours. Plus, there is a public garage at the corner of Sutter and Stockton that is a max of $34 a day (or $3 an hour between 9 AM and 6 PM and $1 between 6 PM and 9 AM) and if you take your car out you aren't charged for those hours. The car rental locations are about two blocks away.

We ate at the hotel restaurant once. The food was tasty and the service was quick. Room service menu was on average $4 more expensive than walking down to the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank hearttravelingVA
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

One block walk to Union Square. Great staff making our stay enjoyable. If you are going to visit San Francisco, I would highly recommend a stay here. Close to the major area attractions and convenient piblic transportation readily available.

• Stayed September 2012