The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Donatello(San Francisco)
1,766 results
All reviewswine and cheesecontinental breakfastunion squareother guestsevening cookiesfreshly baked cookieswarm cookiessmall hotelboutique hotelhard boiled eggsyogurtbrick wallevening winepost streetceiling fansitting areaperfect location
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My spouse and I stayed here the 2nd week of June 2012 for five days. Before booking the room, I read the reviews for the hotel. Based on those reviews, we upgraded the room to a suite because my husband was attending a conference and needed a place to work. That upgrade worked out just fine.

When we arrived at the room, my spouse noted that the room interior looked a bit worn-out. My biggest problem was with the bathroom. I don't think it was cleaned when we arrived b/c we found soap scum from previous occupants around the sink area and a used shower cap. The bathrooms could use an update. The floor tiles in ours were cracked. The groat work around the sink and tub area was black. Also, I soaked in the tub after a hard day of hill walking and there was lots of visible black on the underside of soap dish and around the grab handles. Only one of the electric outlets in the bathroom worked. And finally, I had hot water for only 2 days, the rest of the time it was tepid.

I talked to the hotel staff about the water and it might be an issue of their water system. The staff did come and look at the situation. Upon check-out I informed them of the electrical outlet situation in the bathroom.

I

Room Tip: I agree with the others do not select a room around the breakfast areas on the 3rd & 5th floors. We were on the 2nd floor and I think you want to avoid 203 b/c it is next to the business center and was closest to the employee work room and elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank delbertgrady
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to the Inn at Union Square. We appreciate your comments and feedback on your experience. We are very sorry to hear you found some housekeeping discrepancies and some hot water issues. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience and it looks like we fell a little short of that goal and for that, except our sincerest apologies. We have reviewed the information with our dedicated and proud staff who have remedied the issues. Thank you again for your feedback as this is vital to improve our facility and services. We look forward to your return to the Inn at Union Square during your next trip to San Francisco.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,

Norbert Mede
Inn at Union Square

Reviewed 19 June 2012

On our first visit to the US, we travelled from Australia and couldn't have asked for a better home away from home in San Francisco. Yes, the rooms are a little small but the friendly, hospitible welcome coupled with the chance to meet fellow travellers at the nightly wine and cheese offering certainly made this a memorable visit. Ann, Omar, Wayne and the housekeeping staff genuinely went out of their way to make sure we were well looked after from our first e-mail queries till our final departure. Breakfast was more than just a straightforward Continental - plentiful and varied. Certainly a great location and excellent value. In fact we stayed on our return visit to San Francisco and the experience was just as good! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms adjacent to the breakfast room on level 3 and 5 are great in the morning to just put on your robe and grab a breakfast tray.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grant_lina
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Great location near to the cable car and shopping. I was travelling solo and got a junior suite which was much bigger than I needed - would be good for a family. Very friendly service for small hotel and clean rooms. Wine and cheese in evenings was a nice touch. I also enjoyed the steak restaurant next door, as I was solo I could sit at the bar enjoy a drink and nice meal from the bar menu.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mnsydney
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed 2 nights before a short cruise back to Vancouver. Ann was very helpful with the booking and gave us 3 options to get from the airport. We chose Bart, simple and efficient, just a few blocks walk to the Hotel. Quiet room, good bed, lovely wine and cheese reception at 5:30pm and very nice breakfast every morning. No view as readers have said but who cares? Just go outside! This is not for people who need a huge lobby ! Staff are pleasant and helpful, no complaints. It wasn't hot when we were there, if heat is an issue, remember that they don't have air conditioning, just a ceiling fan. apparently they rarely get hot in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Nice to be on the floor where the breakfast and wine reception are held.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laurallee2016
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I read all the trip advisor reviews before deciding to stay in this location. We were somewhat disappointed. The rooms had no view, we upgraded to a room with a sitting area. It was no bigger than our 1 of our traveling companions room - but we paid more. Another traveling companion had a room like ours but he paid the lower rate. The breakfast and evening wine and cheese were very nice. The hallways were very narrow, making it hard to move luggage. We were a group of five and we asked a couple of front desk people to call for a van taxi so we could all ride together. One staff member told us they didn't exist. When we walked to the corner we found one immediately. When we came back to the hotel we let them know that this service does exist. The next day we had the same problem with another staff member. They just didn't seem to want to help. The location is terrific.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Inn at Union Square and for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. All of us at the Inn at Union Square are committed to providing every guest with an exceptional experience. If appears we fell short of our target and for that, we offer our sincere apologies. Comments and feedback such as yours provide us with invaluable information which allows us to improve our facilities and services to continue to exceed our guests’ expectations. We have taken your comments to heart and will work on improving these areas of the guest experience. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn at Union Square on a future visit to San Francisco.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,