The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Donatello(San Francisco)
1,746 results
All reviewswine and cheesecontinental breakfastunion squareother guestsevening cookiesfreshly baked cookieswarm cookiessmall hotelboutique hotelhard boiled eggsyogurtbrick wallevening winepost streetceiling fansitting areaperfect location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 May 2012

A good hotel in a great location with excellent value.

Location: Excellent, near the corner of Powell and Post

Staff: Genuinely friendly and helpful

Room: Was a little small and lacked good bathroom ventilation but otherwise was clean and nicely furnished.

Value: Outstanding. Ask for the AAA discount if you have a membership. Free breakfast with lots of fresh pastries, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, tea and coffee. Free wine tasting in the evening with lots of cheeses and grapes etc.

The wine tasting was a great way to socialize and meet other guests.

I would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Consider an upgrade to a larger room if space is a priority. Also ask for the AAA discount if you have a membership.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjost7
Reviewed 13 May 2012

The overall rating in my opinion is a little above average even good but definitly not very good: The location is excellent,walking distance of shops and musea,public transport next door.The suite: two lovely rooms,nice bed ,nice furniture.
But:for the 6 floors there is one elevator which also is the service elevator,if you are in a hurry take the stairs.The service of the reception was excellent but the service of the roomcleaning could be better organized,somehow they always wanted to do our room when we came back from being away several hours.There was a lot of noise from the breakfast/wine area in our rooms,being next to it.There is no safe in the room ,only downstairs at the reception.
We had twice a severe plumbing problem with the toilet,which they fixed immediatly, but still was not a nice experience.
I cannot compare this hotel with other innercity hotels in SF,part of my critcs are because this hotel is in an old building which is very charming but has his negative points.We had a lovely stay but I felt I had to mention the drawbacks.

Room Tip: Not close to the breakfast corner
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dieuwke
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We were greeted before we even stepped in the door by Ann and throughout our 4 day stay we felt like we were "home". Our room was large with a separate writing desk and two arm chairs and although we did not have a view it was extremely quiet. The wine and cheese every evening was a surprise especially when our glasses were continually topped up and there was a nice selection of cheese and fruit and crackers. The morning breakfast included an assortment of muffins, bagels, pastries, cold cereal, fruit and even hard boiled eggs. When we mentioned that it was our 40th anniversary a complimentary bottle of Bubbly,champagne flutes and a lovely congratulatory letter was waiting for us when we returned later that afternoon. Even the housekeepers were calling us by name whenever they saw us. This little inn made our trip to San Francisco even more memorable.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FishandRose
Reviewed 1 May 2012

San Francisco is my home town, and I recently went back there for a high school reunion. I decided to stay at the Inn at Union Square because of the high ratings it received on Trip Advisor. I had stayed at the Hyatt around the corner on previous visits, and my stays were always very pleasant. This time around I'd thought I'd see why this obviously smaller, much simpler hotel was getting such high ratings.

The answer, I think, was mentioned by one of the other guests during my stay..."I love this hotel. They think of everything."

I would say that just about sums it up.

The complimentary breakfast is generous and VERY good. The "parlour" where the breakfast buffet is laid out is very tiny, with room for 4-6 people to eat. So every morning I loaded up one of the trays the hotel provides and took my breakfast back to my room, where I could catch up on CNN while I ate at my leisure. The complimentary wine service in the evening is pleasant, and the cheese and crackers they serve with the wine are REALLY tasty. My room at the back of the hotel was super quiet, and although I am a light sleeper, I slept really well. My taste in decor runs to clean, contemporary lines, however I found the slightly overstuffed and colorful furnishings here to be "just right" for the personality of the hotel. The bathroom is simple, but I took several long showers and never ran out of hot water. The staff was very friendly (including the irrepressible Ann, who is to "bubbly" what the Eiffel Tower is to landmarks.) The location is central to most San Francisco points-of-interest, and if you want to play tourist, there's a Cable Car stop a half a block from the front door.

One thing in closing. A previous reviewer complained that the lobby is very tiny. I will agree there was no room for an indoor waterfall. But unless you are planning to hold your Junior Prom in the lobby of this hotel, you will find it--along with everything else--to be cozy, charming and welcoming.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel. They are quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank FlashDad
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I loved The Inn at Union Square and felt like I had my own apartment in the heart of San Francisco. The location was excellent. I was upgraded to a suite and my room 501 was just perfect. The Suite contains three separate rooms: lounge, bathroom and bedroom. All rooms were small but this is a boutique hotel and I loved it all the more. The Queen sized bed was extremely comfortable and it was very hard to get out of it each day. The room faced Post Street and being able to open the window was wonderful for a little fresh Spring breeze through the rooms, especially at dusk when the tunes of the trumpet player wafted in from Union Square. A continental breakfast is included in the room price. The Inn also offers complimentary daily evening wine and cheese, which is a really generous addition and is very much appreciated after a long day of sightseeing and walking. The staff were professional, friendly and efficient and were very helpful for orientation and sightseeing. This is the only place to stay in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Suite 501 faces the street and has windows that open to the fire escape. Classic!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo