“Alright sort of sums it up”

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
Ranked #110 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 April 2012

There wasn’t anything particularly bad about this hotel, there wasn’t anything great either. Just as an fyi their check in 3pm not 2pm as everywhere else in the USA. The rooms were nice; bathroom was compact, but clean and tidy. The rooms have recently been renovated and are light and airy, however their curtains don’t cover the window so there is always light coming into the room, and none of the windows were double glazed so you could constantly hear traffic noise. Staff was a mixture of great or complete disinterest, I think it just depended on who you got and what sort of day they were having, not really what I expected. We were also charged for parking, when we didn’t use it, we put this down to the staff being disinterested in anything you asked them.

Location is great, it’s a very close walk to Fisherman’s Wharf plenty of restaurants and café’s (which are way cheaper than the hotel’s). Alcatraz cruise’s is also just around the corner, there are cable and trolley cars literally on your doorstep so if you are planning on being around the Piers, then its location is great. We stayed for 4 nights and next time we come to San Fran we’ll find a different property.

Room Tip: Check the noise level before you unpack.....
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marktravel2000
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Marktravel2000, thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel and for the great ratings on our cleanliness and location. I do apolgoize our check in time is 3 p.m., however, as is true with all the hotels in our area, we've found many of our guests wait until later in the day to check-out given all the activities that are available in the immediate area, therefore it is difficult to turn the rooms quickly enough for a 2 p.m. check in time. Also a quick note, all of our guest room windows are double-paned, however occasionally previous guests leave the slanted mansard window slightly cracked for fresh air which isn't apparent unless you look at the bottom latch. Just a slight gap in the seal can let in some traffic noise, however when the windows are fully closed and latched that is not a problem. Thanks again for the visit. I was pleased you enjoyed Fisherman's Wharf and we look forward to your return. Take care and warm regards,

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel was reasonably priced and in an excellent location. The services available were good but certainly a bit overpriced. Again the hotel facilities are sightly above average to average and the staff is likewise average with some exceptions. I thought the fee for WiFi access of 14.95 per day was excessive but with a AAA discount you can get in restaurant breakfast or WiFi included in your reduced AAA rate. a great touch was the outdoor fire-its around the perimeter of the property and again the location is near prime. Overall a very nice experience and I would definitely go again!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Docroachs, thanks for the review and great ratings for our cleanliness, sleep quality and location. I was pleased you were able to take advantage of our AAA Breakfast package at a reduced rate and that you enjoyed our outdoor firepits during your visit. Thanks again for the visit and warm regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel is total disappointment. It's supposed to have been recently refurbished but it looks dirty tired and unmaintained. The Staff are scruffy and, with limited exception totally unhelpful...very un-American.

As for the rooms, I have never encountered such poor facilities in any Sheraton anywhere in the world. As a student I have stayed in fleapit hotels in Paris that were more hygienic and more spacious. The bathroom was so cramped I do not believe they were designed for adults. Why, I would, ask have a bath tub which isn't the width of a persons shoulders and then hang a shower curtain inside the bath so that it is impossible to take a shower and not get cloaked in a cold shroud of unknown cleanliness throughout the whole miserable experience of taking a shower.

We had a twin bed room but each of the beds was so small that if pushed together they might have made one decent bed between them.

When we checked in I was told the room had a rooftop terrace view....We had a window onto the roof alright but there was no access and there was a full height parapet with an air-conditioning unit on it that meant that if you opened the window you had the hum of A/C equipment to keep you company.

I asked for a bigger room with better facilities and was told that of more than 400 rooms there was nothing bigger or better...unbelievable! Apparently the scale of the rooms is down to San Francisco being a "small city" what absolute tosh.

We booked a room with breakfast included. This was a complete waste of money. On one occasion the breakfast sausages we very clearly from the day before and totally inedible. The staff in the dining area didn't clear the used dishes until requested to do so and then in a rude and off-hand way.

I will never ever go back to this hotel, not even if I was actually paid to stay there and would advise anybody thinking about booking to consider any other hotel and I mean any other hotel.

Myself I am not sure I will ever stay at a Sheraton again.

Room Tip: Simple...book a stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Dale3000, thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your recent stay with us and my apologies we did not meet your expectations. Our hotel was recently refurbished for $33 million where all areas of the hotel were upgraded to a bright and colorful decor, so I apologize this was not to your liking. You are correct our guest bathrooms are smaller than new hotels, as that was the typical design standard when the hotel was built in the 1970's. I am most concerned with your perception of the staff, which is definitely not typical with our service team as we generally receive very high marks for staff friendliness, accommodation and helpfulness. I will most certainly pass on your comments to the team to insure we address your concerns going forward. Again my apologies the stay experience was not to your liking and I invite you to contact my office if I can be of any further assistance. Safe travels and warm regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was here for a conference and was not terribly impressed. This is an old hotel that in spite of it's updates, is OK at best. I was on the 2nd of 4 floors (or is it 5?). No view to speak of. And the person in the room above me must have been hearding BUFFALO! I can understand an older hotel having a lack of insulation, but whoever it was up there paced back and forth to the door and back CONSTANTLY. I complained to the hotel manager and he came up to listen and offered to move me to another room but offered no guarantee that I could sleep any better. So, I just stayed put.

Pros: The outdoor firepit lounge areas, close walk to the wharf area.

Cons: Lack of insulation between rooms, HIGH prices for stay AND for parking, hotel staff not very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mmcritter

Dear Mmcritter, thank you for reviewing our hotel and for the 5-star rating of our location. I was pleased you enjoyed our outdoor firepit lounge areas and our close proximity to all the attractions at Fisherman's Wharf. My apologies you were disturbed by a noisy upstairs neighbor and thank you for your room tip to ask for a top floor room which is ideal for light sleepers. Our security team does make frequent rounds within the hotel in the late evening to help mitigate any interior noise from other guests, however it is difficult for us to determine if someone is pacing back and forth as you describe. I am pleased we offered to assist you to move to another location but do apologize you were disturbed to begin with. Thank you for the feedback and for the visit and I wish you safe travels and warm regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I try to be fair and balanced with my reviews, as you'll see from others I've done, but this one is difficult. We'd booked for 5 nights but checked out after one. This hotel was such a disappointment in so many ways it's difficult to know where to start but first the positives. The bed was comfortable and the location is good. On the surface it looks like a good quality hotel and is priced accordingly.

So what went wrong. Check-in was good and efficient but when we got to the room and looked around, as you do, we were amazed to find the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in any hotel. It was so small the sink was actually outside of it, in the bedroom not in the bathroom!

The room was well decorated and spacious but, on closer inspection, you noticed the ill-fitting windows and antiquated 'through the window' air-con unit. It gave the appearance of this having been a basic motel at one time which had been given an only partially successful make-over.

The biggest shock was when we looked out of the window. The roman blinds were the only window covering so, when the blinds were down the room was dull and when up, the whole world, or at least that part of it occupying the rooms opposite, could see straight into our room. Daylight or privacy were the only two choices. And as the view consisted solely of the first floor roof with ventilation ducts and large air-con units – plus seeing what other guests were doing in their rooms, of course - we chose privacy, closed the blinds and put the room lights on when necessary.

The bathroom light also operated the one around the sink which, as I said, was not in the bathroom so, whenever the bathroom light was on, the bedroom was lit too, thus disturbing anyone still sleeping.

The air-con unit created far more noise than it did cool air so, in order to sleep we had to turn it off; being too hot was preferable to not sleeping at all.

I'm not a small guy, being 6'4” and about 230lb, but I pity anyone larger when using the bathroom toilet. I found one had to remove the toilet tissue roll from it's holder beforehand or perform some minor contortions later, and even basic functions were difficult in the confined space.

I'd also failed to notice when booking that the free wifi internet was only available in the lobby though, to be fair, it did say so quite clearly on their web site. So just be aware that they are still one of a thankfully shrinking number of hotels still charging for in-room internet – in their case $14.95 a day which adds significantly to the cost of your stay if you need to keep in touch with work or family.

And I could list other less important niggles - such as there only being one sachet of coffee in a double room so one of us had to do without, but compared to the other things they seem unimportant.

After one night, we had had enough. I went out early the next day and found a hotel opposite, called The Tuscan, who had a suitable room available and we checked out of the Sheraton never to return. Based on our stay there, I recommend you save yourself some time and effort and look elsewhere from the outset.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Stuart_S, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the 4-star rating of our hotel cleanliness and location. I was pleased to hear you found our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed to be comfortable and both the location and price was to your liking. I do apologize you had issues with the size of our guest bathroom and the layout. Our hotel was designed in the 1970's where bath sizes were typically smaller than they are today, however when renovating, we took care to insure the vanity area included an open furniture design to assist with storing towels, bath supplies and other amenities below the countertop. My apologies this creating problems for you, however I do thank you for the visit and your patronage. Safe travels and warm regards,