“Be informed”

Ranked #184 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Atlanta, Georgia
“Be informed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for our anniversary recently, the end of June. I realized I was not going to be staying in the Four Seasons, but I felt betrayed by the website of the hotel. I was ok knowing the amenities were not world class, because I did not plan to be in the room much more than to shower and sleep, as we would be out exploring the city during the day.
I walked into the room and scanned the room to make sure everything was in order, and I noticed something on top of the closet door molding. This is a taller than normal door so I looked harder and reached up to pull down a small glass jar filled with marijuana! It had been unopened and said medical marijuana on it. I was furious!! I showed my wife what I had found and instantly flushed the entire jar down the toilet.
The shower had a couple of long black hairs on the walls, and we had not yet taken a shower and neither of us have that color hair. I felt like I was in a truck stop when I used the toilet with the way it was configured. The sheets had holes in them. We awoke to find someone standing on the roof outside our window on time. There was one night that there seemed to be major construction outside our room until very late in the night. The towels were second rate (again I realized I would not be using 800 count Egyptian cotton bath sheets), but some of these looked like shop towels or something you would dry your car with.
Speaking of cars, the valet parking was not well marked and I had to back down Market St to get to the turn in for the valet. This was in a back alley ( I understand the need to use the alleys due to space restrictions) and it was poorly lit and seemed to have a you're about to get killed in this scene of the movie vibe to it.
The first night, after the marijuana issue, my wife and I were frazzled so we decided to go get something to eat. We left the hotel and took a right on Market St. headed toward Union Square. I was afraid for my wife as soon as we walked outside the hotel. There was a multitude of homeless people lining the block, and as we passed the Muni stop about 15 girls got off the bus and started fighting (not arguing! serious hair pulling shoe removing fighting.) My wife and I continued to walk and I was feeling no better about our decision to stay here. We walked for more than a mile until I felt comfortable stopping to eat, off 3rd Street. We tried to relax with dinner but it was difficult knowing we had to return down that street. I hailed a taxi, and told the man where we were going. He told me, "You better get another cab!", and he took off with me still practically in the window.
As soon as we returned to the hotel I called every hotel I could find from Union Square to the Wharf, and the only reason we did not move was because no one had rooms for all the days we needed them.
Be informed that you are getting a room in an old Historic building. You are not getting world class service and you are getting basic amenities. You are not going to be staying in the nicest part of town (as a matter of fact I had a local tell me to stay away from the Tenderloin district prior to my wife getting into town, and guess what area we were about two blocks from). There is an apartment building next door that looks like a very low rent building so you know what you will be getting from that.
I will say this, we had very few people harass us or make comments as we walked the streets, but that did not make me feel much better about this choice.
Lastly, I filled out the comment card on the nightstand and asked to be contacted about my stay and I was not contacted. I was waiting to hear from the hotel before writing my review.
Enjoy your time in SF, it is a great place to be a tourist.
[IMG]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/nu2trout/DSCN3739.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/nu2trout/DSCN3732.jpg[/IMG]

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keith B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay. I am disappointed to hear that you had such a negative experience and apologize for not contacting you as requested. If you have time I would like to follow up and discuss some of these issues so that I can take responsibility and make the necessary changes to imporve the overall experience for future guests. Please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for me personally.

Thanks in advance.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

The best experience. Very helpful when asking for dinner suggestions, sightseeing, tours... The room was very clean. The hotel is beautiful. I highly recommend this hotel for visitors. It's in the center of all the attractions and theres a bus stop steps away from the entrance. The mall and shops are a few blocks away. Definitely a five star hotel!!!! Also theres a Starbucks in the lobby. Definitely a plus in a hotel!!

Room Tip: The 7th floor was very quiet and the view is spectacular. Superior room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience with us. We hope that each guest that stays with us has the exact same things to say. We will make sure to keep up the effort to try and accomplish this goal. Thanks again and we hope to see you back in the future.

Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Just completed a 3 day stay on business. You could tell at one time what a grand building this once was. Staff very friendly, professional and helpful - but rooms very dated. Still i considered a good value considering location and prices in surrounding properties. Could easily walk to the Moscone center, although had to share with a signficant number of homeless along the way. No problems, but did witness police making a couple of arrests. I would recommend, but just be aware up front of age and you won't be disappointed.

Couple of additional bonus points: (1) great breakfast place right across the street - Sam's Diner and (2) hop on the F train a few steps away on 8th and Market.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank G_L639
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb during your stay in San Francisco. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed yourself and that the location was ideal for your needs. I will pass you kind words to the staf about your dealing with them.

Thanks Again.

San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

The area around the hotel is awful, but I had expected that. The room was in bad shape: wallpaper was peeling off the walls. The advertised "free internet" didn't work at all. Out of four elevators only two were working. The valet couldn't locate our car for quite some time when we checked out. I wasn't at all impressed.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are all dissapointed to hear that the stay was not 100% positive. We have listened to your comments and will be addressing these with all departments involved to make chages.

Thank You.

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Hotel staff were courteous and relatively helpful. Beds were comfortable. Located literally 1/2 block from the Muni/BART stop (Civic Center). However, the hotel website makes it look much more swanky than it is. It is run down, walls are thin as paper, dark and musty, and although the location is convenient to public transportation, this area of San Fran is known as the "junkie/addict" hangout, and it is not recommended or comfortable to walk here at night or venture more than a block from the hotel. Hotwire rates this as a 3 1/2 star hotel, comparable to Marriott or Hyatt. I think that is very generous.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family