Phoenix Hotel SF
US$ 189
US$ 155
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$ 432
US$ 215
  • Room Service
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$ 219
US$ 214
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$ 223
US$ 213
ComfortInn
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$ 261
US$ 209
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$ 322
US$ 454
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
1,094 results
All reviewstenderloinheated poolfree parkingchambers restaurantrock n rollpool partygreat poolmotor lodgecivic centerfun place to staycool vibehomeless peoplerooms facecool hotelnever felt unsafecontinental breakfastvan ness
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 July 2012

(we stayed there in August 2011 and this is a reprint of my review on another site)
This is a cool place and definitely not the usual hotel. There are lots of Rockers and Euro tourists with kids and the place oozes a great vibe. The patio, bar and pool are all terrific and the only downside is the rooms could use some new carpeting etc, they seem a little worn. The place is bordering the Tenderloin neighborhood and if you go east, you will discover the volume of SF's homeless issue. However, in all other directions the walk to transportation is quite safe and easy. Your are only two blocks north of Civic Center and there is a fantastic Farmers Market as well. The hotel offers free parking and continental breakfast and for SF these are real bargains and shouldn't be taken lightly. The staff was fantastic. We would definitely return and have already recommended to some local friends for City overnights.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank bonnie h
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I went to the US Open in San Francisco 6/10-18/2012. When I got my tickets I made reservations immediately at several hotels including the Phoenix Hotel. I then tracked the reviews, costs, proximity to transportation and places I wanted to go, parking, etc for all hotels for almost a year. Ultimately I chose Phoenix Hotel and could not have made a better choice.
After reading most of the reviews it appeared that noise and location were the greatest concerns of previous visitors.
I am by no means "street smart" and the 8 days I was in San Francisco was the longest time I had ever been in a metropolitan enviornment. The neighborhood is typical of most in town. You will encounter people sleeping on the sidewalk but I was never bothered by them. Pay attention to what is going on around you. Take a cab if you are uncomfortable. I walked to and from BART and Metro several times every day and at no time was I uncomfortable. I made an effort not to be out after dark so I do not know if the situation changes.
As for the noise on the pool deck and from the street. There were no bands so that was not an issue. I was woken only once the first night by street noise. Saturday and Sunday afternoon the pool deck is open for brunch and there is a DJ who stops at 6. After that it was really quiet. No slamming doors. No noise from adjoining rooms. Louvered window by door open 24/7.
Friendly and helpful front desk staff. Saved paper for me every day and gave me great assistance in getting around the area on mass transit.
New furniture was delivered while I was there.
Free parking for 1 car. You will find this nowhere else in the city. A friend was also allowed to park for free one evening.
Front desk staff watched carefully who was entering the hotel and using the pool deck and were to afraid to evict uninvited/unwelcome visitors.
My room was large, comfortable and a great value.
No A/C but open windows, ceiling fans and available fans make the room comfortable.
BART and Metro 5 blocks-easy walk.
Plenty of water pressure and hot water.

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms with private balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank steven l
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on here, so was aware what others were saying about the neighbourhood. Being a seasoned traveller i wasn't too worried about the presence of homeless people but this trip i was traveling with a 5 mth old and 22 mth old, My Father and Sister and her family who haven't travelled anywhere before. 8 of us stayed for 2 nights (Sunday and Monday)
Smooth and hassle free check in. Visually beautiful courtyard, Lots and cool cats lounging around listening to 'mellow tunes'
We all had the double deluxe rooms. I had requested 2 cots or CRIBS as they are known there and could only have 1, as thats all there was in th hotel, lucky for me i padded the 5 mth old with pillows and she slept on the middle on one of the beds. Beds comfy, i felt they were slightly small for a couple.
Staff very cool for school and couldnt have been more helpful with booking airport shuttle or giving recommendations etc. We walked with a 2 seater pram (stroller) all around the area, and although the presence of people sleeping rough was apparent everyone was friendly enough and not intimidating, Many folk spoke to my children in a friendly way. I think there must be a welfare office at the bottom of Eddy (turning right) as there were queues of street people waiting to get into an office. Maybe i didn't feel at risk as i work with this client Gp in the UK but the rest of my family said that it made them feel sad and depressed but not intimidated.

Easy to walk to Union square and other landmarks. Excellent Mel's Diner just a walk away. Pool was steaming hot.
Continental breakfast was coffee and a muffin and if we hadn't got out early enough other guests came and took a huge stash back to their rooms.
Great showers.
Would deffo stay again.

Room Tip: Downstairs for access with a pram (stroller)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Sharonank
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We spent a Sunday night in SF before a flight east after a wedding in Sonoma and I am so happy I found the Phoenix! We arrived early evening and were upgraded to a suite at no additional cost, much to my surprise, and parking was free, a rare find in SF. The staff was super friendly and helpful and even called our room to check up on us. They also recommended an Afghan restaurant called the Helmand Palace within walking distance and it was great! We also went to a nearby place called the Fly Bar that was fun. It may be a little noisy for some and is in a city neighborhood for sure. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosedanarosedana
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Everything about this retro hotel in the Tenderloin district is fantastic, and I wouldn't hesitate on recommending it. Best described as a "gem in the rough", the hotel is an oasis from the neighborhood surrounding it. The previous reviews couldn't have prepared me for the walk around the block, and to be honest, I didn't feel safe in the Tenderloin. Inside the hotel walls, however, is like stepping back in time to the 1950s and 60s, with wild decor, extremely helpful staff, and an overall great experience. Would recommend for any young people planning on visiting San Francisco.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple