“Extremely Disappointed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Extremely Disappointed”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at the Le Meridien for 3 nights just last week in a king bed room. For the price I paid ($232/night), I was extremely disappointed. I've been a Starwood preferred guest for years and usually try to stay at Starwood properties (and have been a big fan of other Le Meridien properties, I might add) but this hotel was very disappointing.

Let me start by saying that I was in San Francisco for leisure, and not business on this stay, but I chose Le Meridien for its central location to everything (I give it full points for location), as it was walkable to a wide array of places (Embarcadero Center, Chinatown, Ferry Building, Market Street, Cable Cars). I also did not want to stay in a tourist area like Fisherman's Wharf. However, because I was not traveling for business and since it is a financial district hotel, I found staff to be very unprofessional and unhelpful towards me and my girlfriend. This included both front desk staff and concierge.

I had requested a room with a bay view during my reservation. Upon check-in, I again asked if there was a bay view room available. The front desk attendant ignored me, and when I asked again, she said yes. When I got up to my room, the view was the shoddiest bay view, which was blocked off by multiple buildings, allowing me to just see a LITTLE bit of the Bay Bridge. Either give me a room with a full bay view, or tell me that you couldn't accomodate my request. But for her to tell me that she would be able to give me a bay view room, and for me to get such a terrible view, that is just insulting. Another thing that was very unprofessional about this front desk attendant in particular is the fact that right after my check-in, she yawned loudly and said "I'm soooo tired!". Please. I'm your guest, not your friend. It's too bad I didn't take note of her name.

As for concierge, I asked him about the best way to AT&T field by Muni (SF's public transportation), as I had tickets to the San Francisco Giants game. He said "Well, you can take a taxi". Thank you, Captain Obvious, but I asked about the best way by public transporation.

As for the room itself, it was a pretty standard king bed room, and it had a very comfortable bed. Washroom was also standard. Housekeeping staff was very friendly and did a good job cleaning the room. Other than that, I would most definitely not recommend this hotel (note again that I was not a business traveller and it may be a nice stay for business travellers). Stay at the Hyatt Regency in the same area for less money. For $230 a night, I expect service at a much higher level than this.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Worldtraveller3654
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Korean first
Denver
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights on business. Would recommend junior suite at a minimum which was a decent size room with a couch.

Room Tip: Higher floors mean less street noise.
northern Michigan
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The Le Meridien is easy walking distance (<4 blocks) to Market Street and many other neighborhoods. Market Street is a hub of public transportation. We walked to the Embarcadero and the Ferry Building, Chinatown, The Italian area, the red light district, both cable car lines, etc.

Rooms are comfortable and we slept great on the bed. Temperature controls for the room were perfect and we could always find a comfortable temperature. Our room on the 21st floor had a fabulous view of the waterfront, Coit Tower, cruise ship terminal and other nearby areas.

Special thanks to the concierge who was so helpful. She guided me to hair salons, bagel shops, restaurants, public transportation, etc. There was nothing she could not easily figure out and help me with.

1 Thank upnorthjodie
Bow, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Great business hotel in the financial district. Centrally located with easy access to the airport. Rooms are good size, clean and comfortable. Lobby area is pretty small, with a very small lounge, but there are so many choices for drinks and food in SF, that it is worth exploring.

Staff was very friendly, but concierge and desk staff did not seem to know their area as well as we would have hoped (like what time local stores are open, and what tourist type things are really worth it).

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room on a higher floor - the views are great.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 20 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip , the room is very comfortable, great bed, nice views, the location is great 5 minutes from the BART station which made my trip from and back to the airport easy. Great food choices all around, and the hotel is located in a quiet corner of the busy town. The only thing I don't like is no coffee in the room but it's not such a big issue

Stayed April 2012