“Avoid if you are a business traveller”
Review of The Mosser

The Mosser
Ranked #89 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I must disagree with the majority of the reviewers here. The rooms are exceptionally small and, crucially have NO DESK OR TABLE. It is impossible to work in these rooms. I cancelled my room as soon as I saw it, but there are no other options - this is what they have, Then, they wanted to charge me a cancellation fee! It took half an hour of a discussion with the manager to get them to do this, "Did you request a table?" "No, but I didn't request a bed either!" Some things should be a given. The kept repeating that they were a boutique hotel and nearly a hundred years old. I told them I have stayed in hotel three times older - all had desks in the rooms! Anyway - you have a sense of it. I was not the only person who checked out without staying - another guest followed my lead, for exactly the same reason.

Room Tip: Look before you stay!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kenneth S

Reviewed 14 April 2012

I love the Mosser Hotel! This was the PERFECT hotel for my weekend adventure in San Francisco. Located conveniently on Fourth St, the hotel within walking distance to BART and the #30 & #45 city bus known as MUNI stops within several yards of the Mosser's front door. How convenient. I did not need my car for the entire 3 day/2 night stay. The #30 bus (Stockton) is down the street on Market and Third, and this will take you all the way to Chinatown. If you want to continue to Fisherman's Wharf, the Marina District and the Palace of Fine Arts / The Exploratorium, the #30 will take you there too.

The entire staff at this hotel is professional, courteous and attentive. They answered my questions and provided information on restaurants and bus routes.

My room had a queen bed and I chose the shared bath for the price. Next time I will upgrade for a few bucks more and get a room with a bath. Upon entering my room, the temperature was warm, but luckily there was a ceiling fan and a window to open for some breeze. The bed was comfortable and a small tv was located at the foot of the bed. My room was nicely decorated and modern looking. Closet was small, but adequate. In my room, the hotel provided a blowdryer, lotion, shampoo and a small bar of soap. The shared baths were very clean and there were bathrooms designated for male and female. The shower room was clean. Not once during my visit did I have to wait.

There is a restaurant/bar attached to the hotel called Annabelle's, but I did not get a chance to try it. In the morning, the hotel offers coffee and muffins and there was always a lovely basket of red delicious apples through out the day at the reception area.

The hotel's elevator is large and efficient and runs well. A snack machine and a vending machine for water/sodas is located on the bottom floor.

The location is wonderful. There are loads and loads and loads of stores to visit and shop til you drop within walking distance of the Mosser. Bloomies, Ross, Old Navy, Westfield Shopping Center within a stones throw of this hotel. There is a Denny's and a Mel's Drive In Restaurant and Starbucks just around the corner too.

What I liked best about this hotel is the proximity of it's location to stores, bus routes, BART, Union Sqare, restaurants. It was absolutely perfect.

Upon check out, it took no more than 15-20 minutes for the valet to bring my car to the front door for me.

I honestly do not have one negative thing to say about this hotel.

The Mosser Hotel Rocks and I'll be going back real soon.

Room Tip: Step outside and take the # 45 or #30 to Chinatown and Golden Gate Bridge Movie theater down the st...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank redenvelope
Reviewed 12 April 2012

A fantastic location just off Market street and not far from the famous San Fran Cable Car and Union Sqaure.it is also near Wrstfield shopping centre and close to plenty of restaurants.or you can have takeaway delivered to your room..

The Hotel staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms a very clean..

We stayed 3 nights our first time in San Fran in a room with a bath and toilet, the reason I mention this is you can have rooms without these facilities at about $100 Aust per night, you then use the shared bathroom and toilet facilities..

Ok be aware these rooms are small but if you are on a budget the location is great you can't beat
the price. We could put up with the small room however because this hotel is located in a busy street you do here every thing outside we found our room got very warm and needed to open our window but it was so noisy we had to close it...

We left our luggage here whilst we spent some time at Yosemite National Park it was safe to do so on our return we just booked a 1 night stay in a room without bathroom or toilet we had no problem doing this for one night but if it was longer I don't think I would do it again that is just a personnel preference..

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up it may help with noise..
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just off Market, public transportation of every kind. The area felt safe, and the Hotel did as well. The hotel was a mix of old SF and hip. Very trendy, but not off putting. Clean, well kept, good linens, comfy bed, well stocked & decent coffee. Friendly helpful staff. And a deal too. A little noisy. I had a private bath. I would come back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Gayle P
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I've stayed at The Mosser twice and will continue to make it my first choice when in San Fran. It is close to all the transit options so we get a multi-day pass for transit and never need to take the truck out of their secure/safe valet parking. Staff have always been friendly and informative. They kept my bags after I checked out so my son and I could see a few more sights before we left. We always get a room with the shared bathroom. There is a mens and womens toilet and a separate room with a bath/shower combo. They are always immaculate and I have never once had to wait to use the shower. The room is clean and filled with thoughtful amenities ie. robe and caddy for taking toiletries to shower, etc. It is a beautiful vintage hotel with plenty of modern touches. The room is tiny but we were hardly in it. I didn't have any problem with the WIFI either.

My one concern is my son is young (five the first time we stayed) and the window is low and doesn't have any safety bars (or screen) to prevent a child from falling out. We were there during a heat wave and needed to sleep with the window open but I didn't feel safe opening it up very high. There is a ceiling fan which helped but it would have been nice to be able to open the window up more. Also the second trip they had upgraded the TV to a flat screen with on demand shows. My son figured out the on demand shows and I was charged for some cartoons. I don't know if there was a way to disable that. Next time I'll be paying more attention! :)

I highly recommend The Mosser to anyone that wants a friendly, clean hotel in the middle of it all!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family