The Mosser
US$ 223
US$ 193
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 286/night.

The Park Central San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$ 231
US$ 158
Savings alert! 42% below average rates

The price you found is 42% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 271/night.

San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)
US$ 209
US$ 204
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 305/night.

US$ 239
US$ 234
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 324/night.

US$ 212
US$ 189
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 266/night.

Grand Hyatt San Francisco(San Francisco)
US$ 253
US$ 238
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 317/night.

da Vinci Villa(San Francisco)
US$ 207
US$ 193
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 218/night.

Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$ 201
US$ 166
HolidayInn.com
Savings alert! 40% below average rates

The price you found is 40% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 276/night.

Hotel Union Square(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$ 179
US$ 147
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 226/night.

Taj Campton Place(San Francisco)
US$ 475
US$ 304
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 361/night.

2,417 results
All reviewsshared bathroomprivate bathrooms are smallceiling fangreat locationunion squaremarket streetmoscone centeraround the cornerqueen roombart stationstreet noisecomplimentary coffeeeach morningcable carheart of san franciscoenjoyed my stay
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Clean, fairly modern, helpful staff! Rooms are fairly small and facilities are shared but given the price I was more than fine with that compromise - maybe I'm not as fussy as some but I wish more cities had an option like The Mosser.

I also left my iPad in the room, thankfully cleaning staff had already found and secured it for me to collect the next day - very honest.

As a diabetic, I'd only ask that their breakfast muffins include a sugar-free option in the future. Not really a complaint, so certainly happy with my stay overall.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Pete C
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Mosser hotel has everything to cover your basic needs but not much more, so if you expect 5-star experience its not a hotel for you. For those who need just a base for their stay and don't plan spending much time in hotel room - the Mosser is just what you've been looking for!
It has excellent location, good price, the rooms (though tiny), public areas, bathrooms (including shared facilities), etc are nice and clean, and beds are comfortable. The ceiling fan (rooms have no A/C) is sufficient to create nice breeze if the room feels too warm.
I must point out that even after reading the reviews and knowing to expect very small room I was none the less taken by surprize exactly how small the room really was. I mean there was only about half meter spare room on each side of the bed to move around (stayed in queen room with shared facilities). As I was traveling alone and did not plan to spend much time inside hotel it did not diminish my general satisfaction with my stay.
Will definitely stay again in Mosser when in SF.

Room Tip: The walls are quite thin, so try to get room far away from elevator and, if possible, not directly next to shared facilities.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Tix13
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Reading the more critical reviews, I wonder if they were expecting the Ritz Carlton at Motel 6 prices. Ultimately, you get what you pay for but I feel this was a great deal for a stay in an otherwise very expensive city. I stayed in a queen studio with a sink and shared bathroom. The rooms are smaller but clean and the beds are very comfortable. The queen studio would be perfect for a couple spending most site seeing out of the hotel and not looking to stay in the whole day. There is a convenient sink in the room and the shared bathrooms were always very clean and tidy. I paid about $100/night which I felt was a great deal for this city. The location was excellent, located close to Moscone Center, Union Square and great shopping districts. Always felt safe in the area. There are always cabs waiting for fares across the street at the Marriott and a parking garage for the hotel so local transportation and parking are convenient. The staff was nice and friendly. Unless you are a 4 star hotel snob willing to put up the money, I think this is an excellent choice on a budget in an otherwise expensive city.

Room Tip: Request higher floor rooms to minimize traffic noise in the city.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Hiker100
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I was booked at the Mosser for the Fancy Food Convention. I was there for 5 nights. The location was excellent to the Moscone Convention Center, but I quickly began looking longingly at the Marriott Marquis across the street!

The building is a lovely old Victorian furnished with shabby furniture in the lobby with no real style. The desk staff were friendly but not terribly helpful. My employer was checking in later and had made the reservations, but had not paid for them yet. They allowed me to check in, but put the first night on my credit card, plus $25??? Bizarre. No one seemed to be able to explain why and that was after I complained when they wanted to add $75 to the first night's rate.

The room was dingy, due to poor lighting. The walls had black scuff marks on them, the tub had pubic hair in it. The corner sink was impossible to use without getting water everywhere. The bath amenities were environmentally "green" and smelled like vomit. The towels were threadbare and cheap. The bedsheets did not even cover the mattress on the bottom. The windows were sealed, no air conditioning and the room was not only very noisy, but hot. Wood blinds at the windows did little to keep the room darkened and were dusty. The more modern looking platform bed was okay comfort wise, but the platform was scuffed and dirty--clearly not an area that housekeeping was interested in maintaining.

There was no clock in the room, unless I turned on the wall mounted tv (with cords falling out from behind) to see what time it was. The phone was mounted on the wall and impossible to hang up without using the cord to wrap around the entire unit to keep the receiver from falling out. It was hung too high on the wall to reach for a wake up call from the bed. The wall mounted light over the bed, was also hung in a very inconvenient area which required standing up to turn off. Both choices were poor design choices and a cheap way to avoid night stands. The night stand that was attached to the platform bed was on one side only and was broken and tilting so that items slid off when placed there.

Housekeeping was loosey goosey. The bed was never completely made up with the decorative pillows that were on the bed at check in, and the towels, as bad as they were, were never replaced in the same spot. The glasses in the bathroom, once used, were never replaced, so I had to rinse them out and use the same ones repeatedly, despite my leaving notes for housekeeping, along with a tip!

A morning breakfast of a cup of coffee and mediocre muffin was offered in the lobby with little place to sit. While the coffee seemed decent, the only offering with it was sugar or equal, and half and half. No skim or low fat milk, no honey for tea--things one can expect to find even at a cheap hotel!

Concierge service was non existent. When I requested a call to the shuttle for pickup I was told that they did not use that company and so they didn't have their number--REALLY? No computer there at the desk to look it up?! I asked for some affordable local restaurants and kept getting referred to Annabelles next door, which was pricier than I wanted. That was the only restaurant they could tell me about. I went across the street to the Marriott Marquis where their concierge not only told me about some great places close by but she provided me with a list of many options ---and I told her I wasn't even staying there!!

My overall impression of this place is that someone had a few bucks and desire to turn a beautiful old VIctorian into a trendy boutique hotel and then they went off to travel or do something else leaving no one in charge or accountable. Clearly the only employees who were schooled in the fine art of hospitality were Joe the bellman/doorman and his counterpart. These two gentlemen were sharp, friendly, take charge and helpful every day.

I wouldn't go back if it was free.

Room Tip: There isn't one.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Amanda B
takeinthesites, Director of Sales at The Mosser, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Thank for for taking the time to write a review, as we appreciate the feedback. Your constructive critisism can only help strengthen our training efforts and better our front desk staff. A few of them are new, and still learning their way around the desk; although that is no excuse. Our sincerest apologies you did not enjoy your stay. But, we hope it doesn't keep you away from San Francisco.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I'll start off by saying that I had the smallest room in the history of hotel rooms. And that included a private bath. Sink was IN the room, no desk or end tables, alarm clock or closet. Not the cleanest room, either. But did its job and was relatively inexpensive. Apparently there are larger rooms, but I didn't get one.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business