This is NOT your father's Best Western......but then again, we ARE talking 7th & Mission in "bawdy yet refined" San Francisco!
So just be ready for a dose of eccentric and eclectic trappings in the edgy east end of SoMa, and you should be happy here.....especially at this price point.
The hotel is just 48 rooms, with no expansive lobby nor restaurant/bar on-site. There is a burger joint at the sister BW Americana property across the street, which I presume had a pub too....but frankly with the tons of great options in this great city, we didn't bother. TIP: we ate supper just steps around the corner at "AQ" -- my wife had monkfish with fennel sausage and peppers, and I had the cobia draped in black garlic with lemon spinach puree.....both very fine with such an eclectic mix of flavors and excellent service at reasonable tarriff too.
Back to the hotel and the eccentric vibe....we were in a themed "suite" named after Abe Warner, a notorious Barbary Coast publican who operated the infamous "Cobweb Palace" where hot toddies of boiling whiskey, gin, and cloves were the rage more than 150 years ago. This second floor room was large-- listed at more than 340 sf with 9' ceilings and operable bay windows-- and the bathroom carve-out included plenty of vanity and open space. There was a desk with a couple chairs, loveseat, bench seat, and countertop area as well to make coffee, although we took advantage of the complimentary java and muffins in the lobby every morning.
Furnishings were period pieces with chenille and velvet, and decor was enhanced by mirrors and paisely wall coverings, plus a historic typewriter with a clever muse from the aforementioned Mr. Warner-- yet another eccentric touch! Closet was ample and included a safe. King Bed was comfortable albeit pillows were so-so. Housekeeping and cleanliness were both excellent. The parking garage is a bonus too....at a very reasonable $20 per night with self-service and easy in/out access, it was perfect as we had a car toward the end of the stay.
Demerits: only three half-dresser drawers-- the other three halve-drawers are faux for refrigerator storage that was not in the room anyways; the flat screen was small; the toilet had a cycling float-valve that ran every couple minutes or so; and the heating unit sounded like a small chopper, and had poor temperature control with a sliding relic for a thermostat that simply did not keep the room at a comfortable level. The WiFI was also horrendous.....very slow and constantly kicking out.
Bottom-Line: this will work for you if you aren't looking for resort amenities and state-of-the-art business travel accoutrements. Yes the neighborhood is edgy, so frailing seniors, nervous types, or folks with children could feel antsy.....but others with seasoned travel experience on a prudent budget should like it. TIP: try SFCVB search engine to get a "free nite" deal and reduced rates.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Carriage Inn features 48-rooms and offers a witty, warm, and sophisticated escape from the ordinary. Featuring guest rooms saluting San Francisco's notables eccentric notables and drawing inspiration from the "carriage" of a typewriter, the hotel provides a San Francisco experience well suited for vacationers, theater patrons, convention goers, couples and business travelers alike.Located in the vibrant South of Market (SoMA) district, the convenient location provides quick access to many of San Francisco's top attractions and destinations including Civic Center Plaza, Moscone Convention Center, Union Square, Westfield Shopping Centre, the Theater District, and Cable Cars that will take you to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Carriage Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Carriage Hotel San Francisco
- Best Western Carriage Hotel
- Best Western San Francisco
- San Francisco Best Western