“Stylish and good value”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #34 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is well located close to Union Square, that clicked a lot of boxes - clean, comfortable, quiet, efficient service. We were given a corner room on the 16th floor. The room was a little smaller than others in the hotel, but with the advantage of a fantastic view up Nob Hill. The room itself was not spacious but perfectly adequate for a couple of nights.

I did have a few irritations ... in 2012 I was really shocked to be charged for WiFi - and at $16 a day its not that far off what I pay for 1 month at home! I'd also expect access to the gym to be complimentary - instead we were charged $20 per room for access. The gym itself was pretty well equipped for a hotel. The pool was big, but very disappointing as it was so shallow as to be unusable for a third of its length.

Finally, the area does attract its fair share of interesting characters at night - something that did make us feel a little uncomfortable when walking back in the evening, although not to the point of feeling threatened. Its a real disappointment that one of the doors to the hotel is closed in at night, and the other (side) entrance was locked on a key card without a member of staff at the door itself. On one night I was "tailgated" by a homeless person who then caused some mischief in Reception. A member of staff at the door would have avoided this.

All in all a very good value hotel - a similar quality to the W but significantly less expensive.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mr_JM_10
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed here for a conference last week which was held at the hotel.

PROS
- smooth check in, professional staff....offered a glass of wine during check-in which was a nice touch
- perfect location by union square
- bell staff was fast and courteous, arranged limo for me to airport which was cheaper than taxi
- health club and pool is well worth the $20 per stay, I understand why they charge for it since those who use it should be the ones paying...brand new equipment in the gym.
- conference ballroom was large, and the Nikko conference staff itself managed it well
- fast elevators
- king bed was very comfortable, no problem sleeping
- hotel is aesthetically pleasing, modern lobby and professional look throughout
- free wi-fi

CONS
- room #1506 was extremely small, maybe 200 sq ft? this is fairly typical for sanfran hotels but was hoping this hotel had larger rooms....i think you have to upgrade to concierge floor, but it was offered at $50 more a night which didn't seem worth it to me
- room service food was average, service was good, but food was bland...i had pizza and deli sandwich
- need to get HD cable service
- reluctantly only gave me late check out till noon...understand hotel was prob booked

Overall I would stay here again, if price range was $200 or less per night.

Room Tip: concierge level has larger rooms if you're willing to pay for it
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank healsea
Reviewed 23 June 2012

This was our first stop on a three week visit to California. The hotel is really nice and clean, but it's location is the best thing going for it. Just minutes to Union Square so it's ideal for a trip to San Francisco for first time visitors like we were.
Check in was quick and the receptionist was nice. We were offered an upgraded room for an extra $20 per night which we availed of. The room was nice but quite small so we wondered what our original room would have been like if this was bigger like we were told!
Our travel itinerary was marked with honeymoon couple, which we were!, so we were presented with a small box of chocolates as we left reception. A nice touch!
We did not eat in the hotel at any stage so we cannot comment on that.
As another reviewer said the hotel is a little bit soul-less....I would agree with that!
If I were to visit San Francisco again I would probably not stay here unless I got a really good deal.
The concierge was helpful as we were allowed leave our bags on check out for a couple of hours without charge before we left.

For anybody flying into San Francisco and leaving by car the hotel is located very close to alot of car rental companies like Hertz, Dollar, Avis etc. They are all located literally half a block away so this proved very convenient for us as picking up our rental car.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsMoo2012
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear MrsMoo2012
Thank you for commenting on your honeymoon stay. We are pleased to have been included in this memorable occasion. Thank you for the shout out to our concierge team. They really are the best! We do wish that you will return to our hotel. Remember that the best deals will always be found on our own website hotelnikkosf.com
Wishing you a lifetime of happiness,
Nikko Gal

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Yes very nice- a little dated but very nice. Room was a little small and dated... But the services were so good you could overlook that.
Plus they have concierge room with breakfast and snacks in the afternoon- very yummy

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The positives of this hotel as it has a grand impressive lobby, 1st impressions good
But..
We had problems checking in as we had booked 2 beds, admitedly this may have been caused by the website we booked though and not the hotel itself, they honoured our booking but made a big fuss that we were getting upgraded to a deluxe room, appeciated the problem being sorted but the bedroom was no different from any usual 3* room I have been in, although bathroom was a great size
Gripes, 100 dollars was taken from my debit card in case of damages, in any other hotel I have stayed they have taken your card number but never actually taken the money from you
I have now been back in UK 1 week since my stay in San Francisco and still dont have this money available to me ( can take 10 days to process!!) so watch out for this if like me you had allocated a budget on your card and then couldnt spend 100 dollars of it, it will now cost me a bank transfer charge to get the money from my US debit card to my UK bank account
So I have been greatly inconvenienced for something of no fault of my own
This was not mentioned at all upon check in , had that been the case I could have used another card although I strongly disagree with this practice
I also feel this hotel charge at every opportunity, charges for Wi-Fi - which were free at everywhere else I stayed in the states, and I believe the charge for the leisure facilities too

I plan to return to San Franiciso but will absolutely not book with this hotel again , I am sure there are a million other more welcoming places
Very Disappointed

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank GinBunny74
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear GinBunny74,
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Hotel Nikko San Francisco on TripAdvisor.
In regards to the charges to your debit card, it is an industry standard to place an automatic hold on credit cards for incidental charges. (Incidental charges include items such as room service, valet parking, restaurant charges, massages) The amount is automatically released after checkout. In the case of a debit card those funds are removed from your account and placed on hold by your bank. Usually banks release the funds 1-5 business days after departure. This time frame is dependent on your bank’s policy.
Thank you for your feedback which has given us the opportunity to explain this industry guideline and our hotel’s procedure. Because of your comments we have reeducated our front office staff to alert guests using debit cards.
On your next visit, book your reservation through our hotel’s website, hotelnikosf.com and you will receive free Wi-Fi.
Warm regards,