“good location and nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #30 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saudi Arabia
“good location and nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

nothing new , it is intercontinental standards. no special experience but clean and decent

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at the Intercontinental on Howard street at the beginning of April.

I was in for an internet conference that was hosted in Moscone West Center. It must have been no more than 150 ft from door to door. It was simply as convenient possible. Also the westfield mall is also only a 5 min walk away in case you need to get something.

The bed and willows were great, so was the shower. I asked for a high floor and got a room on the 23rd. That made for some great views of the SF bay. I did not spend too much time in the room, but the floor to ceiling windows did allot for some eye soothing images.

Check in was very smooth. The rate was also reasonable in comparison to the other hotels there. I paid $220 a night before tax. They do charge you $15/day on wi-fi which i think is a joke now a days.

On check out i was surprised to find some bogus charges. There was a meal charge for an entire lunch for two or three people on me when i visited the restaurant once and had 2 coffees. There were also some false mini bar charges that i believe resulted from moving some bottles around to place a beverage of my own. In any case, the rep at concierge just had me look the charges over and anything that was not familiar was immediately canceled no questions asked.

Elevator was always quick and never had to wait for a lift.

The only frustrating issue with my stay had nothing to do with the hotel. There are no cabs in SF. Its nuts. I had to wait 45 minutes for a cab at 7:30 at night on the way to dinner. The street were empty, so it was not a traffic issue.

All in all, great stay.

Sagee

Room Tip: I asked for a high floor and got the 23rd. I had a wonderful view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sagees
Tacoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We had a wonderful time in SF while we stayed at this hotel. We chose it because of its close location to the cable car, Chinatown, and Union Square. The concierges were the best I've ever interacted with, especially Bill Sutton (the chef concierge) and Hilga. I called them several times from various locations throughout the city and they always offered excellent advice. The hotel was extremely clean and well run, and all of the staff were very friendly and warm. The pool was a big reason we chose this place, and my kids (6 and 16) both loved it. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 818. It was very clean and quiet, and 2 floors above the pool/spa/fitness center...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Robgut
Alpharetta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Our family of two adults and two children, ages 9 and 11, stayed at this hotel for part of a Northern California family vacation for three nights, April 1 - 4, 2012. I booked it through Hotwire at a rate of $155.00 per night, and for that price we got a fabulous deal. The Hotwire listing stated "4.5 Star Hotel, Union Square West, Moscone Center." I was pretty sure we would get the InterContinental and we are so glad we did! I used a website called "Better Bidding" to help me predict we'd get the InterContinental - so helpful!

It was my first experience using Hotwire, and I was expecting to be assigned to a low-level room by a noisy elevator. Upon check-in, we were thrilled to learn we had been upgraded to an 18th floor bay-view room. Our room was spotlessly clean, quiet (with the occasional sound of a fire truck, but it was San Francisco we chose to stay in!), and the double beds were very comfortable. (The sheets and bedding were even more comfortable to me than that of the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay, which was the hotel we went to after our stay here - so kuddos to the InterContinental!) My only wish was for queen beds, not doubles, in the rooms. (The Ritz had doubles, too, by the way.)

The location of this hotel met our needs quite well. Since we knew it would be about $50.00 to park a car we did not rent one. I would recommend to all families traveling in San Francisco to not rent a car, not only because of the expense, but it's very stressful to navigate around a busy city like SF with all of the bus lanes, speeding taxi cabs and people. It was a $10.00 cab fare to Pier 33 to do Alcatraz, and about $20.00 to the Exploratorium. We definitely saved money and aggravation by not renting a car.

Because of expense, we only dined once at the hotel restaurant and it was for the breakfast buffet. We had met a very nice fellow guest at the pool one evening who gave us his two adult breakfast vouchers he wouldn't be using. Since the hotel breakfast buffet costs $28.00 per adult, this was another huge savings for us and we were so thankful! The cost for each of our children was $18.00 and we enjoyed a delicious buffet with fabulous service - a very special breakfast! On other mornings, we dined at a nearby Denny's, Starbucks and Mel's Diner - all within a block of the hotel. There are many, many restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. We walked to dinner one night at a great seafood restaurant called Anchor and Hope - wonderful food and very different from the seafood we get at home in Atlanta! =) We also dined in the food court of the mall one evening. I am typically NOT a food court fan, but this one was unique and upscale.

One evening we were all so exhausted from our day of touring that we used hotel room service for dinner. We had great pasta dinners and the prices were reasonable, considering it was room service. We had taken our own bottled waters to the hotel with us and never consider using a hotel mini-bar.

We visited the hotel indoor pool and hot tub a couple of times. It is a smallish, two or three lane pool but served our purposes well as our 9-year-old is a competitive year-round swimmer and needed to keep up with his training. We very much appreciated that the hotel had goggles for loan at the pool - a nice touch of the hotel.

We had never stayed in an InterContinental before and were overall thrilled with our choice. I am SO GLAD that we stayed here and not at one of the hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Though the Wharf area is where we spent much of our time, I found the InterContinental to be a quiet, restful place after full day of touring the city. There were very few other children in this business-oriented hotel. Because of this, we never encountered any screaming, ill-behaved children running up and down the hallways of this hotel or playing in elevators as we have in many other "family-oriented" hotels in which we've stayed. We were able to have a peaceful, enjoyable stay. I would definitely choose this hotel for a future San Francisco stay - Hotwire deal or not.

Room Tip: Ask for a high-floor with a Bay view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Mizzou93
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was my second stay at the InterContinental San Francisco, and it was wonderful. We stayed in a junior suite, which is large and has floor to ceiling windows that gave us an incredible view of the city. The Club Level Lounge was fantastic, and the staff was so attentive. All of the concierges we spoke with were incredibly knowledgeable.

What I found most impressive was that, although the President of the US stayed in the hotel one night while we were there, we did not notice a decline in service to regular guests.

We will undoubtedly stay here again.

Room Tip: Highly recommend getting a Club Level room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple