“Modern environment--traditional Italian”
Review of Perbacco

Perbacco
Reserve with OpenTable
Perbacco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 5,664 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$ 41 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Cross street: Battery
Transit: Bart: Montgomery station. Muni: Market and 1st St. stops.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Modern environment--traditional Italian”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

One thing right off the bat: this is not a spaghetti, lasagne, chicken parm type of place. I love these Italian-American dishes, but this is not the place to go if you're looking for it. The menu changes daily and features fresh pasta. The dishes seemed to feature game, such as rabbit and the like, in addition to pork and veal. The wine list is extensive and features a large number of Italian wines from the Piemonte region (which makes sense given the cooking style). The wine recommended was spot-on. My co-workers and I each enjoyed our dishes, and would go back given the opportunity.

Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

“Top Italian in SF”
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

This is one of the best italian restaurants in the SF bay area. The atmosphere is very lively, so if you are looking for a quiet experience you may want to go elsewhere. The food is perfectly executed and reasonably priced for a restaurant of this caliber. Will definitely go back!

2 Thank blackmamba81
Camarillo, CA
“No complaints, but not quite the same”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Dined here recently during a business trip to SF. The prior review "Some things do change" is very on point with my own reaction to my most recent visit. I have dined here 2 prior times, and had also arranged one other time for my wife to dine with daughter on a recent trip my wife took to visit SF resident daughter. My 2 prior visits were all a delight, and my wife and daughter had very high praise for the restaurant from their girls night out.

For my most recent visit, our 3 person group was upstairs. All my prior visits we were seated downstairs. The upstairs was very loud, driven and led by a 6 person group literally right over my shoulder. Raucous, cackling, explosive outbursts of noise really sort of dragged down the ambiance. Independent of that, something seemed missing in the food and the service. It was as if the heart of the place was missing this night. Make no mistake, the food was very good, the service prompt, wine recommendations basically correct. But overall, it ended up being just a meal. A good meal, but just a meal. Were this my first experience, likely would be the last given all the competition in the City. But, I will assume for whatever reason they were just off (and maybe the high decibel neighbors colored my overall impression, as I was happy to be out and away from their self-centered din!)

• Visited April 2012
“Best scallops ever”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

4 of us went to this restaurant because Tadich Grill next door had an hour wait. Boy I am glad they were busy because we found this gem and really enjoyed it. I ordered a "root vegetable" salad that had heirloom beets and carrots and other amazing veggies that were seasoned perfectly and absolutely scrumptious. It was presented so nicely I didn't want to eat it! Got the scallops for my main which were with no exaggeration the best I have ever had. The place is a little loud, but we sat upstairs and it allowed for great conversation. I will definitely return to this place.

• Visited April 2012
Diablo, California
“Some things do change”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Perbacco is one of the most steadfast restaurants in the City- always good, always authentic and always fresh. On my recent visit the place showed signs of aging and although the food is still quite good, something was missing. The server was a little distracted, the ambience of the place was a tad less vibrant and even the noise level was lower. The restroom (bottom floor) was steaming hot forcing quick work of any last minute touch ups. But, the important element - the food- was also lacking any panache. My pasta with nettles was a notch above fair and my dining companion had the short ribs which were pleasant but nothing hit a home run. The dessert menu was tried and true and provided no temptation to either of us. I will return but I am very likely to opt for one of the more innovative choices around town.

1 Thank BuckeyM