“Know Your Stuff”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Cross street: 14th Street
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

I know my Whisky. That being said, it still took me over 10 minutes to peruse the best Whisky collection in San Francisco.

I see people eating here, and my advice would be: grab a drink first and enjoy the lounge. You may never make it to dinner.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

I went to Nihon to meet a friend/business acquaintance for a drink. I am by no means a whisky drinker so upon arriving I felt a bit disappointed & unsure of what to order. To my surprise the bartenders were extremely knowledgeable about all types of Whiskey's & Scotch's and walked me thru different flavors and scents until I found one I loved that I actually enjoyed on the rocks. The atmosphere was nice, catering to business or tech people it seemed (by looking at the others patrons, as well as prices). At around 9pm a DJ went on and was playing mostly hip hop or remixes which was a nice addition to the overall feel. Nothing too loud, nor too crazy that would deter from the bar's more upscale feel. Would definitely recommend and would like to return to try more drinks!

Reviewed 19 February 2017

If you happen to like whiskey or scotch, this should be on your "must visit" list when in San Fransisco.

Walking in you will notice an entire wall filled with whiskey and scotches from all over the world. While it can be a little overwhelming, our waiter was able to guide me to some fine Japanese scotch based on my current preferences.

While I didn't sample any food, this is a great place to meet for a drink (or 2) before dinner in the city.

Think you'll love the experience and enjoy trying new whiskey and scotch from around the globe.

Reviewed 17 December 2016 via mobile

Unfortunately paying more than you should has become a way of life in San Francisco. Somehow Nihon takes that proposition to an entirely different level. As many of the other reviews indicate, Nihon is wildly overpriced, with bottles of Sake starting at $80 (and soaring from there) and most of their whisky "tastes" in the $20-$40 range. The food, while actually reasonably priced compared to the alcohol, is only slightly above average, and does not even come close to making the high overall cost, along with their pompous bartenders worth it.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

Good atmosphere, cool bar and whiskey display. Great people watching place. The service was ok and so was the food but overall it's eye wateringly over-priced!