“Delicious and LOTS of fun”

Woodhouse Fish Company
Ranked #147 of 6,304 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

The New England style clam chowder was creamy, delicious and filling. We shared the soup and then had a crab roll and stuffed artichoke for mains. Both were generously portioned and well prepared using high quality ingredients.

The decor is very casual, kind of like a fish diner (if such a thing exists) so you might think this is a cheap eats place. It is, rather, a good eats place without pretension.

Highly recommended.

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 7 October 2017

We had a dinner we'll long remember. This is a local favorite, well out of the tourist areas. They don’t take reservations. The host signed us up on the list, and we only had to wait 10 minutes (at 7:30 on a Friday night) for our table for two. The server was cheerful and helpful, advising us to try the Tomales Bay oysters (was she ever right!) and for dessert advising us to share a bread pudding (it was enough for two). We loved the Cioppino at $31 and Iceberg Louie Salad (Crab Louie) at $21. (I’ve been enjoying Crab Louie for 60 years.) In the wine department, they have an excellent Oyster Bay sauvignon blanc, tart enough to go well with our seafoods. For beer lovers: Anchor Steam on tap.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

The food is really top notch however the service is so bad that I wont be back. The place isn't that big and was a third full when we sat down and ordered, 45 minutes later our entrees came - crab cakes and a lobster roll. Now unless you were catching the seafood there was no reason for this. I asked our waitress about 30 minutes in and she said the wait is usual yet I saw someone come in and order take out and get their order before ours. When the hostess brought our plates I asked her and she said there wasn't a problem and that we didn't wait long. No one wanted to take any responsibility. A simple "sorry it took so long" would have gone a long way but now I wont go back and will let others know what to expect. You aren't the only fish in town Woodhouse....

Reviewed 3 September 2017

We came based on recommendations from others. If you go on looks both outside and inside you would probably walk away but don't as you will be missing out. We had the crab cocktail and prawns cocktail to start with. Amazing amount of crab and very big prawns. For mains we had crab cakes which were superb and the Cioppini which was delicious.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Thought I would try someplace new while in town. Came here after reading the reviews I arrived at 715pm and there was no line for this very small restaurant. I guess that should have been my first hint. I was sat right away my waitress was very slow and boring. I ordered the clam chowder it came out served with some sliced sour dough that was definitely not what made San Francisco famous no butter no crackers just the sliced bread and a very average but hot cup of chowder.... far from being even close to anything great. Then I got the Dungeness crab roll for $36 it was not the fantastic sandwich I had read about the crab was on the fishy side and small for that kind of money served with really awful French fries a little boring side of weak coleslaw and a big wedge of lemon. This place would never make it on my list of places to eat when I'm in such a great city for food. Wish I had just gone to one of the places I know and love. I will never be back here again .

Date of visit: August 2017