“Great location, eco-friendly, amazing value.”

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #17 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“Great location, eco-friendly, amazing value.”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed here on a short break while travelling with my girlfriend - we got upgraded on arrival and were really impressed by how comfortable the room was. Service was really good and the location was really amazingly central, right next door to the gate to China Town too!

Really recommend this place - randomly too it's an extremely eco-friendly hotel too.

SHORT SUMMARY:

Pros: Tidy, very comfortable and eco-friendly.
Cons: None I can think of.

Stay if: Looking for a nice holiday location, good romantic place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank liceas
, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, we truly appreciate you recommending our hotel. It sounds like you and your girlfriend had a great vacation and an enjoyable stay with us. I’m glad to hear that you were impressed with the Hotel as well as the service. The location we’re in is conveniently nestled in between so many amazing neighborhoods of San Francisco. We hope you both return soon to enjoy our city a little longer next time.

Thanks again,
Front Office Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed here last weekend. In town to treat my sister who lives in Oakland to some shopping, pampering and relaxing and for her bridal shower. Lobby and hallways are bright and clean. Room ( superior double) was also clean and bright. Had amazing floor to ceiling windows. We were only on the 5th floor so view was of the street and neighborhood but a good view and not a lot of noise. Not the largest room but not at all bad for the city. We had no problems with the ventilation or a/c in the room or bathroom. We loved the beds and pillows and comfortors. Had 2 great nights sleep. Shopping and great restaurants in walking distance, both upscale as well as great little neighborhood places. Chinatown entrance right next door. We did not ever eat in the hotel restaurant. Only saw one or two people there. A little disappointing that there was no handicap parking or reduced rate for valet but we were able to find street parking 1-2 blocks away. Have to say the staff while pleasant did not seem at all interested in doing anything extra. We didn't really have any problems but just didn't get the "how can we make your stay better" vibe from them. I did make sure to call in the morning to confirm our exact room and again later when my flight was delayed to make sure I got the right room and to make sure they would let my sister in before I got there. Overall a great stay in the city.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Becky M
, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Thank you for writing about your stay with us. I’m happy to see that you were able to get some good rest in between the bridal shower festivities. Although I’m thrilled to see you recognize the rooms are clean and quiet, I apologize you felt we were lacking in other departments. We use any criticism as a training tool to better our service, so I appreciate you taking the time to share the shortcomings you experienced. I hope you’re not deterred from staying with us again in the future and all of us from the Orchard Garden Hotel hope we get another chance to “WOW” you with the service we’re capable of.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Just spent a 4 night here. Basic modern hotel with great location steps away from Chinatown Gate. Within easy walking distance to Union Square, Market Street and other streets where you catch a bus to anywhere. Room was on the small side with no view (but I didn't come to SF for a view out my hotel room). Very clean with comfortable bed and linens, and most importantly to me is that it was very quiet. There is a roof top garden where you can take a glass of wine or cocktail after a day out on the town. Staff were helpful. Great restaurants within walking distance. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sadster
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I've been staying at the Orchard Garden hotel for a few years now as I travel to San Francisco on business and always feel like I'm returning home - however recent large staff turnovers feel like its losing its personal charm a little. That aside, the rooms are good - light, airy, clean and comfortable - the bed and pillows are extremely comfortable, and finally, staying on a lower floor, I had some decent water pressure. One of the best things about this hotel is it's location - around 3 blocks from Union Square, and at the Chinatown Gates. Not a hotel to write home about as such, but a good place to be.

Room Tip: don't hesitate to ask for a different room if you don't like the one you're originally i...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MsSparkles
, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Thank you so much for writing about our Hotel. I love it when a guest refers to the Hotel as “home”. I can sympathize with your concern when you begin to see a turn in staff. However I can assure you we still provide a personal charm. I’ve been here for 5 years now, and knock on wood, I plan to stick around for another 5. One of the best things about boutique hotels is the friendships and bonds that are created between guests and staff.

I sincerely hope we continue to be your home away from home. We truly appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I was staying at the Orchard Garden on my own for a work trip.

All of the staff who I came across were incredibly friendly and helpful. I had a problem with my bathroom one evening and, when the nice guys who came to help couldn't fix it, they moved me to another (high grade) room without quibble. I also received a small gift and very nice note of apology (although there was really nothing to apologise for).

The hotel is very nice, well kept and in a good location. It's easy for the BART (rapid transit rail system), the cable cars, and walkable to some touristy-areas, although not all.

I didn't eat in the (small) restaurant so can't comment on that.

All in all, a great stay.

Room Tip: There are "internal" rooms with no street view so if you like it quieter, ask for one of t...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KRichards30
, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
All of us at the Orchard Garden appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay with us. Although I’m sorry to hear about the inconvenience you experienced, I am very happy you were still able to enjoy your stay.

It is extremely convenient having so many different types of public transportation accessible and to be walking distance to a few of the touristy areas. I hope you were able to squeeze in some fun in between your work schedule. If not we all hope you stay with again during some vacation time.

Thanks again,