“Great stuff!”

Colibri Mexican Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Colibri Mexican Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #236 of 6,295 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Cross street: Mason & Taylor
Transit: #38 Geary Bus
Description: Colibri Mexican Bistro lies in the heart of San Francisco's bustling Theatre District, just a block west of Union Square. Spanish for "hummingbird," Colibri combines the simplicity of authentic family recipes with fresh, high-quality ingredients to bring diners unparalleled, delectable Mexican cuisine in a charming, turn of the century cantina setting. This warm and inviting eatery is reminiscent of Mexico City restaurants of the 1900's, decorated with classic Spanish paintings and accentuated by a vast collection of uniquely shaped and rare tequila bottles. Filled with energy, Colibri projects black and white 1940's Latino-film clips at the front of the house, while the open kitchen in back provides glimpses of its colorful cuisine in different stages of completions. Boosting a knowledgeable staff and attentive, sociable management, Colibri is dedicated to providing a memorable dining experience for both tourist and locals alike.
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

Arrived on spec, in a wheelchair, we were sat with no fuss.
Dinner was very very good, môle sauce was excellent. When they say something is hot - they mean it. Chicken wings were fiery and delicious.

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

On our last night in SF, after a couple of nights of dining out, we just wanted a convenient dinner option near our Union Square hotel. We love Mexican food and we happened to find Colibri just a block away. Good fortune was shining on us. It was excellent.

We entered to a packed house and a high level of noise. We arrived early for our reservation but were seated very quickly. Somehow after being seated the “noise” seemed to morph into a high energy buzz that was fine with us. From the time we sat down to the time we left our very friendly servers were excellent and helpful.

We were given plate of small, warm white corn tortillas with three very different and equally excellent salsas. We ordered their guacamole, for which you determine your desired level of spiciness. We asked for medium and it was perfect.

We ordered the Chili Relleno stuffed with vegetables and cheese (pork is another option) and the Carnitas. The relleno was a fire roasted poblano chili. Both orders were outstanding! Many of the plates here are small to medium sized and meant to be shared, tapas style. With the guacamole we had first, the shared portions were just right for us.

For dessert we ordered coffee and shared the Churros Rellenos, as recommended by our server. It’s the traditional Mexican pastry filled with cajete caramel cream and served with dulce de leche ice cream. It was great!

We will return!

Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

Housemade guacamole was good but a little to spicy for my taste. Atmosphere was vibrant and staff was friendly and attentive. The main dish, mole pablano, was slightly above average. Recommend.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

My partner and I are a little obsessed with Mexican cuisine. When we found this place, there was no question where we were eating for dinner. The food and drinks were just brilliant, and we would go back here next time for sure!

Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

My wife and I shared a selection of food, including the guacamole, carnitas, and one of the specials (a pepper stuffed with pork, with a walnut sauce). Each item had tremendous depth of flavour, and we thoroughly enjoyed our introduction to a variety of Mexican flavours that we had not experienced previously (as well as several familiar staples of the Mexican palate). All in all, I'd say this was the best Mexican food I've ever had - and the service was excellent.

When researching the restaurant on TripAdvisor, I noticed a previous reviewer from the UK thought the food was bland in comparison to Mexican food in the UK. I'm also from the UK, and I'm not sure what lead them to this conclusion. I've been to many Mexican restaurants in the UK, and I've never had anything I'd consider to be more flavourful than the food at Colibri (and I'm talking about authentic Mexican restaurants, not the trashy 'Mexican' chain restaurants like BarBurrito!). Unfortunately it sounds like they had a bad experience, but I urge you not to let their experience disuade you; I didn't, and it turned out to be a culinary highlight of our trip to San Francisco.

1  Thank Matt B