New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
new york
“excellent location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

stayed when it just opened. beautiful. great location. great service. excellent restaurant

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments about the hotel. We hope that you are able to stay with us again soon.

Regards,
Hotel Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

The luxury brand truly speaks for itself at this San Francisco location. I really enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel. I am a Starwood member and was upgraded to the 17th floor immediately at check-in. Awesome welcome gift, huh?

The bar in the lobby is wonderful and a super nice touch with the fireplace partition. Their bartender was very accommodating and was happy to prepare for me a refreshing non-alcoholic drink (non-drinker myself). The pool as well as the gym were superb. The hotel is located close to Market Street where everything is; the muni also stops in front of this hotel which made it very convenient for my stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LuvVacays
William F, Hotel Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Loyal Starwood Guest and TripAdviser Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at the St. Regis San Francisco. Compliments such as yours are shared with our entire staff and motivates us to continue providing the highest level of service to all of our valued guests. While I am pleased to hear that the physical aspects and location of the St. Regis San Francisco appealed to you, it is your acknowledgement of how our staff accommodated you that is most gratifying to hear.
Please allow us to welcome you back to our address in the near future. It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way possible.

William Fong
St. Regis San Francisco
415-748-7100
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stay at this property (a first St. Regis for me), first night in a standard room and consequent 2 nights in an Astor Suite. The whole stay blew me apart.
Having stayed at the MO and FS SF previously, this design and decor of this hotel is definitely more modern and tasteful. The lobby, the lobby bar and AME (their Micheline starred restaurant) are very nicely furnished. The staff greeted me warmly upon checkin and had all my details and documents ready in no time. The standard room was very nice, and the room service I had from AME was definitely one of my best room service meal ever.
The next day I moved to the Astor suite and was introduced to my butler Jenny. She and the butler team was definitely very attentive and responded to my requests swiftly and professionally. The suite itself was very nice, with a big dining table and a spacious living room so when my friends came over it was perfect for a group gathering in the suite. The bathroom in both the room and suite were modern and nicely done (unlikely the relatively old fashioned ones at FS and MO) and the staff at the reception could recognise me by greeting me with my first name, I think a rarity nowadays even in 5 star hotels. I was given the suite on the top floor (20th) which has a very impressive view of the city?

So, FS, MO( soon to be renovated) or the St.R? I think if you like breath taking views, go for MO. Convenience to shopping area/union square, go for FS (Although to be fair St. Regis is only 2 minutes away from the FS). But if you want to have convenience, classy decor,modern technology, world class staff , St. Regis has got it all--I think it will easily be my first choice when I next visit SF. Definitely should try this without a doubt.

One minor point would be that the pillows and mattress slightly on the soft side to my liking

Room Tip: Ask for Top Level room and facing South/Southwest
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank zwgc2
Weston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

St. Regis service is world-class. What makes the biggest difference is the attitude of the staff- cheerful, helpful, will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable- from the bellman to the butlers!

Room Tip: get a high floor for a better view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I came here with 2 friends (one a platinum member) for a girls trip to shop and see the sites of San Francisco. The hotel is very modern and cool. We were told we would receive an upgrade to our room and of course we were very excited. We get to the room and it is a normal standard room...... we then worry about what sort of room we would have been in to begin with. After a day of shopping we return to our room to find that it was not cleaned. We look at the room controller to see that we had accidentally left the do not disturb button on. Our bad. So one of the girls calls to have some fresh towels sent up and ask to just have our beds made. No one comes. The next day we ask the concierge to book us to see Alcatraz. She gives us the number so we could do it. Wait a second...... No we need you to do it..... So she does. We taxi down to that area early to go ahead to will call to get our tickets so we could have a nice lunch before Alcatraz. At will call we find out that only two tickets were purchased and we needed three. Of course it is now sold out. One of the girls calls the concierge to find out what happened....they say this is a normal occurrence that the Alcatraz tickets are mixed up (what?!?) but they apologized for our waisted time and said we would have a gift waiting for us in our room. That evening we come back to the room to find that yet again it has not been cleaned........with no gift. We have now had it. We talk to a manager about it he of course apologizes and sends a bottle of wine and a stress ball and candle. We brush the afternoon off and get ready for dinner. We have been so excited to use the house car (a bentley) for dinner so we go downstairs 20 minutes before our reservation to let them know we would like to use the car. We over hear them ok-ing the couple in front of us to go out side the 2mile radius the car is limited to. We wait for over 45min. We start a new with the driver and he is amazing. We return and the valet now apologize for our wait and offer to buy breakfast. I feel like there were so many other smaller things that happened that really put a bad taste in our mouths about the St. Regis. The whole place is not horrible the restaurants, bars and of course the Remede Spa are top notch. I would NEVER stay here again but I would come back to the spa because they truly know how to make their guest feel special.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank garrettsr
StRegisSanFran, on behalf of Hotel Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your most recent stay. We pride ourselves in providing a flawless experience for our guests that surpasses expectations. Clearly from the details you have provided, we fell well below our standards of service, and for this we are very sorry. Your feedback will be shared with our housekeeping and concierge teams to remind them of our continued efforts in being proactive and timely will all of our guest’s requests. We do appreciate your kind comments about our restaurants and Remède Spa. Your dissatisfaction is understood, but should you change your mind and wish to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me directly.

William Fong