“Closed and Gone”

Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Neighbourhood: The Richmond
Neighbourhood: The Richmond
Reviewed 20 September 2015

No doubt this was once a fine restaurant. We went there on the strength of its reviews and our own interest in Malaysian cooking. But it is long gone, and replaced by a not-too-bad Chinese/Malay restaurant called "Lime" (qv).

1  Thank peterkar

Reviewed 6 December 2012

The people here are very nice, the Dad cooks and his daughters (and I think a son) work there. Have been here many times, for sit-down and also takeout food. I even brought a former Singaporean pal here, and he enjoyed it.

The chicken rice is great (they also make a fried version which I like also). The roti also good. And the Chow Kway Teo also very good. I like to see a small family place that does good food and friendly service. A favorite spot.

1  Thank trvlin_man
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have been going here for over 15 years and the food has been reliably fantastic every time I go. The Roti Chennai is the best in the city, crispy on the outside and tender and flaky inside. With the curry dip it is heaven. Try it dipped in sugar and you have a treat that my two Grand Nieces adore. The Rendang tastes as good as anything I have had in Singapore, the Ayam Kalasan even better than what I had in Central Java and the the Ikan Pepis is the best I have ever eaten. Add the Sambal Kachang Panjang or tasty Gado Gado and you have a fantastic meal.

The owners and their daughters run the place and are always friendly and helpful. We love going there just to chat with them as well as eat their delicious food. All in all, it makes for a wonderful meal.

2  Thank ThriveSF
Reviewed 15 July 2012

this place was our second choice since superstar burma had a 1.5 hr wait. the food, however, was great and it was a lot quieter inside so we can hear each other talk. we got a variety of dishes and shared- salmon wrapped in banana leaf (spicy and good!), chicken curry, roti is a must, veggies. very pleased and would go back! great food without the long wait.

2  Thank kdyUsa
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This restaurant has a somewhat bland and understated facade. Inside, there is not much to the space, though the owners have done their best to dress up the dining area with some local decor. But as with many 'dive-y' restaurants, they let the food do the talking! Being from Malaysia, I can't say that this is 100% authentic, as many of the dishes do have a Singaporean twist to them. But the food is definitely good!

The Roti Chanai was delicious, though the Murtabak that we Malaysians are used to is a completely different dish than what they serve here, which is essentially 2 roti chanai with meat in the middle. The Char Koay Teow was close to authentic though not up to Penang-style standards and very salty the day we were there. The Laksa was probably our favorite - spicy and full of flavor and spot on! Satay and Hokkein Mee were both excellent as well. Did not personally try the Chicken Rice but my father enjoyed in.

In all, if you are not looking for atmosphere but for some good down home cooking, give this place a try! Great value, great food!

2  Thank hailbuzzy