Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra

from US$ 80.00
from US$ 21.00
from US$ 15.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 April 2015

Tonight we saw (again) the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra play a concert in San Francisco. This smallish orchestra plays concerts in San Francisco, Berkeley and Palo Alto in six sets of programs a year. It has been led for 30 years by Nicholas McKeegan and has been selected in the past as the best small orchestra in the US. The members of the orchestra all play on period instruments, so you hear what Mozart, Bach, Rameau, Rossini and other household name composers heard when their music was played. The group takes the quality seriously, but is out to have a good time. It is a band more than an orchestra. Tonight we heard 4 pieces by Mozart and a one act Rossini comic opera from 1810 that had the audience in stitches. If you like classical music in a smaller venue, or even if you don't, this is worth a visit.

Date of experience: April 2015
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

My son is a huge opera fan, so this was his first purchase when he got a real job. I'm not an opera fan, but that may be changing. The orchestra and conductor were amazing and the singers drew me into the story and captivated us both. We were fortunate and were able to meet Vivica Genaux after the show as well!