“It's a good hotel, but if you are a Giants fan....”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #51 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This hotel is very convenient to AT&T park, and that is why I stayed here. I live in the county just across the Golden Gate bridge, and I was just having a week in the city exploring. After four nights at the Kabuki (I love the Kabuki, but I wanted to be on the Embarcadero) I moved to the Vitale, because I had tickets for the Giants' vs. the Dodgers' games on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I had not stayed here before.

The hotel is very nice. I was in the urban studio: comfortable bed, free WiFi, staff very pleasant. Also, I loved the big deep bathtub.

After I checked in, I flopped down on the bed and flipped through the TV channels, hoping to catch the end of the Giants playing the A's. No game. I put my shoes back on and went downstairs. I poked my nose in the bar. No television there.

Then I approached the front desk. I knew the answer I was going to get, but I am the obnoxious type that just to ask the question.

"Hey, why can't I get the Giants game in my room?"

The front desk staff were very nice, and said a lot of people stay at the hotel who are Giants fans, and ask why they can't get the games on TV.

"Well then," I said, "I guess I'll just go down to Perry's!" (Perry's is a bar/restaurant one block down from the Vitale. I spent many happy hours of my misspent youth at the original Perry's on Union Street.)

The front desk staff was very nice when I said this, and I felt slightly guilty giving them a bad time for something that they could not control. On the next two nights and the following day, I met my cousin and we went to the ballpark, so I didn't need to find baseball games on TV.

Still, with all the special touches this hotel provides (for example, the newspaper you have requested is hung on your door every morning, and there is an orchid next to the bathtub)
you would think they could figure out how to get their guests local baseball!

OK, now that I've finished my rant, I should tell you that my cousin and I are booked in again at the Vitale at the end of this month, for SF shopping, dining, and yes, three more Giants vs. Dodgers games.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 July 2012

very confortable room. Good service. It should have a spa/pool area. Guest can use the facilties of YMCA's club close to the hotel, but thy are very modest !

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank commentsawwa

Dear commentsawwa:

Our intimate boutique hotel has a lovely spa on the 8th floor and offers unique services such as our Bathing Ritual – a 30 minute treatment in our deep soaking infinity tubs. Accompanied with fresh fruit and herbal tea, the bathing Ritual is the perfect way to unwind and relax. We would love to invite you back and assist you in making a reservation if you’re interested.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Had a fabulous 4 day stay...great location ...rooms classy and comfortable...extraordinary customer service. Hope to return one day.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Dear susanINewJerey

It’s a pleasure to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us at Hotel Vitale. I would like to personally thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. Please let us know when you are back in the area and we would be thrilled to welcome you back.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We went to San Francisco for a romantic weekend and the Hotel Vitale was just right. The view from our room was breathtaking - just at the feet of the Bay Bridge. The trollies stop on the block so it was easy to get around. The hotel restaurant is fantastic and there are several more across the way at e Embarcadero. Enjoy!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Had to stay at this small but nice hotel. Had to break my stay as Hyatt was booked during the period I wanted. The hotel is relatively small, but very nice. The rooms were clean, the staff were excellent in helping the traveler.They were very warm. Check-in and check out were handled quickly. The bath rooms were also very clean. They had some nice bath robes also, and I was tempted to buy one. The room I had just a street view and was in second floor. Funnily, I could see the office across the street and make faces at them also. They are used to such cranky cases I suppose but views are not that great unlike Hyatt which is a tall building. This is three ( may be four ) floor building.. Not much of a good view that way. But rest of the stuff expected from the hotel was excellent. Pricier than Hyatt Regency Did not try their breakfast or dinner. The place is close to many bars and eateries and hence not really have to depend on the hotel restaurant. Overall, I would say excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ferry side. Road side views are boring.