“Tasty little Persian restaurant right on Van Ness”
Review of Alborz

Alborz
Ranked #1,370 of 6,266 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Persian
Reviewed 18 August 2016

While we found the atmosphere at Alborz to be slightly lacking (there were steady customers for a Thursday but it still felt empty and a bit dated) the food quickly won us over. We had the Shirazi salad (onion, tomato and salad-cucumbers lightly pickled in their dressing) and really loved it. Perfect little appetizer and delightful- very refreshing and light. The hummus was also very good, and went well with the provided bread. We thought it was a fair portion size for an appetizer as well. My husbands Fesenjoon (traditionally made with chicken) was delightful - sweet and rich, slightly tart. You could really taste the pomegranate. If you don't enjoy sweet meals, I'd steer clear however: he ate the entire plate, but I'd have gotten a bit tired of it. The fesenjoon can also be served with meatballs, but was great with the chicken. I had the Joojeh Soltani (one chicken breast and one ground beef kabob) and the chicken was just outstanding. The ground beef was good as well. We upgraded one rice to be Shirin Polo, which is basmati rice with almonds, raisins, orange peel and pistachios. My response was "it tastes like Christmas!" The flavoring was really fantastic, very sweet with the nuts and fruits. Delicious. Next time I might get the shirin polo meal with the chicken kabob. We had fantastic service as well. Our only complaint was a sub-par wine selection and no beer menu to supplement it. Either way we shall return. We heard several patrons remarking about soups/stews and we will enjoy trying.

Reviewed 4 April 2016

We had dinner here and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of food. We ordered koobideh (ground beef) and jouleh (chicken breast) and it was cooked to order. We shared and both agreed that we would come back here.

Reviewed 25 March 2016

Not a soul in here, but GREAT place to people watch as it's got these HUGE glass windows. White table-clothed, with excellent service, we got the giant mixed grill. Although it was enough, it was $40 and only just filled our bellies. For that price, I'd like to eat till I pop. Ended up paying an additional $6 for the "jeweled rice" - with fruits and nuts - which was a little steep, I think, considering it's a staple in Persian cuisine.

Reviewed 22 March 2016

Nice place to take your wife! I just had to wait a little bit to get the food. Server was fantastic!

Reviewed 9 January 2016

Was a very good restaurant. The owners were extremely friendly and attendant. The food was delicious, but we liked Maykadeh more.

1  Thank Saebr18