“Very good”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 5,642 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$ 70 - US$ 100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Oxford
“Very good”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We first tried Gary Danko four years ago and it was an experience not easily forgotten. Everything was exquisite and beautifully done.

Being again on holiday in San Francisco four years on, we booked two months before hand (there was no chance in hell we were not going to eat again in Gary Danko).

The food once again did not disappoint. Everything was beautifully done and the service was efficient and polite.

However, I do not know if the expectations we had set on this dinner were so high that it did not quite live to the expectations of the first time. However, the restaurant is still superb and I would go there any time.

My only negative gripe would be that on the two times we have been to Gary Danko we always have been made to wait a good 15 minutes (more the first time). I would not have a problem with this, but at Gary Danko where you have to confirm and re-confirm again that you are going to turn up and on time(not to forget their price tag), it is a bit cheeky. The first time we were offered a complimentary glass of champagne to be fair - this time nothing.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank daveramlu
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Granite Bay, California
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Went with a friend for his birthday with a total party of 6. Had heard of the restaurant from others and had expected it to be on the expensive side. We had to wait 30 minutes for our table in a waiting area that really wasn't a waiting area. Had a drink and settled in an area with quite a bit of traffic. Atmosphere was quaint and yet pleasant. Didn't mind the wait as the staff was very good about updating us to the situation. They were very pleasant and apologetic.

When we were finally seated, the General Manager came over to apologize and took care of our drinks and had some complentary apps brought over. Had no expectations for this but a very professional gesture as I own restaurants and would have done the same. A great service start.

Our waiter was very knowlegable in explaining the menu and all the options. Pleasant and very engaging. Not at all haughty or stiff. The prix fixe menu was explained in detail and I was very surprised at the flexibility and options within this choice. Each category had at least 5 choices and most looked very appetizing. I was also somewhat shocked at "affordability" of both the 4 course and 5 course options. This state of mind is a result of having seen the many options to choose from along with what I have experienced at other restaurants in this category offering a prix fixe option. It took me a while to build my personal menu as you could select all your choices from one category or do a combination of any of them. This degree of flexibility was impressive.

Of course, the thought entered my mind that the portion size would be on the smaller side thus negating what I though to be very reasonable pricing. Another pleasant surprise. Everyone in our group had chosen to go the prix fixe route and all the portions were of good size and had excellent presentation from plating to content. Everything looked appetizing and for most instances had great flavor and texture. The only negative that all who had chosen the filet as one of their choices were surprised that the meat was over done. Not that it was prepared that badly at all but a bit shocking as everything else that was ordered was of a much higher degree of complexity and was excellent. This ranged from the apps to the desserts. The filet was the simplest of the choices and should have been the easiet to prepare.

Service was excellent through out the meal. We had both bottled still and sparkling water at the table and he made sure to ask if we wished to have more water if he saw some of our glasses on the low side. Many establishments in this category keep on filling glasses without even asking and running up the water tab purposely. We ate in the main dining room to the left as you enter. Pleasant and not an over bearing atmosphere and design. The noise level was very acceptable as it wasn't tomb like or at a din where you couldn't engage in comfortable conversation. We brought several very nice bottles of wine with us to celebrate the birthday and we were not charged a corkage fee. Again a very nice gesture but not expected. Perhaps because we were very undestanding in our having to wait awhile for our table. As a restaurant owner, I very much appreciate it when guests are understanding of our challenges.

Overall, a great dining experience and acutally will pass up to dine elsewhere when I visit the City again as I very much look forward to dining there and hope to have a repeat encore.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank KamikawaSan
San Francisco, California
“poor service & attitude”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

making a reservation should not lead to a extended wait time (60+min), where there was no seat or drink being offered, but you had to stay put during the wait time. all places at the bar were occupied by diners and the entrance area is rather small.
staff did not show any choc or horror about us having to wait despite a reservation "sorry we are soo busy and people did not leave in time..."
the food was good, but not stellar, not at all at par with the food at any other top restaurants in California, I much rather enjoy the food and wines of La Folie, Boulevard or 5th floor or....

• Visited December 2011
6 Thank plr178
Kelowna, Canada
“Birthday dinner to remember!”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My husband made reservations at this Michelin starred restaurant a few weeks before our trip and we were lucky enough to get a table even though it was at 5:30 (we only had a choice of 5:30 or 10!). The restaurant is lovely and the service impeccable. We felt very special from the moment we stepped in the door. The tasting menu is a nice value compared to other comparable restaurants we have eaten at in the past. We chose the 3 course menu for $70 and my husband ordered the caviar as a special "birthday treat". All the food was very good and the birthday dessert at the end was a surprise as we had already ordered dessert plus there was a tray of sweets when the bill came which we tasted but couldn't finish. This is certainly a special restaurant with great staff!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank vicki1986
Phoenix, Arizona
“Danko is the best”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I go to Gary Danko's every time I am in San Francisco. I have never been disappointed in the food or service. Taken many guests there also and they proclaim this place as "the best." All I can say, is GO -- it is a bit on the expensive side, but worth it and if you take a guest they will remember it and your asking them!!

• Visited October 2011