“Super efficient ”
Review of House of Prime Rib

House of Prime Rib
Reserve with OpenTable
House of Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 6,298 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 40
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Washington St.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A great place for a prime rib dinner.
If you’re on your own - eat at the bar.
Very good service.
Suggest going for +1 on your ‘how do you like that cooked’ as my medium came out quite rare.
All good.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have waited a long time to write this review. On the eve of my return to San Francisco, I feel it is time to share my experience at this restaurant. First, I had read so much about it in periodicals and other locations, so I was in full anticipation of having an exceptional meal. Well, it just didn't happen. My Fiance and I waited for over an hour on a rainy Sunday evening, and was finally seated at the Bar for our meal. That was a mistake, and I advise everyone...DO NOT HAVE YOUR MEAL AT THE BAR! The service was poor, it was noisy, it was crowded, you have no room sitting at a bar, and you compete for attention with waitresses and waiters pushing to get drink orders filled. But most importantly, you will not get the service or quality of food you would probably otherwise get at a normal table. My steak was similar to a slab of automobile tire. The bartender admitted as much, and I was offered a piece of roast beef to take home as a consolation prize. Now mind you, the price was still the same. It is extraordinarily expensive, so I will advise anyone and everyone to read the numerous other reviews very similar to mine. It just isn't worth it!!

1  Thank Woodrow C
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Prebook. This place is busy and you need to plan ahead if you don't want either a long wait or to be disappointed. But it is worth it. We were seated pretty promptly. The surroundings are a bit dark but very well done. A nice feel and a good level of finish. Service was quick, very helpful and friendly.
The menu is brief. I guess the philosophy is do one thing and do it very well. It certainly ticks this box. You know what you came through the door for and there it is.
We chose the Henry VIIIth steaks. Thick cut, medium rare. They're carved off a large lump, precooked and ready to go. Cut them that thick and to get it medium rare all the way across (!) is a challenge just a bit too far.The middle was rare and the rest was perfect. Size is huge and the meat was really moist and tasty. The veg was really good and the baked potato huge. A fantastic gut buster.
We chose a 'cheap' Merlot to go with it and it was excellent.
The staff were attentive throughout without being intrusive.
All in all a really good experience which was enhanced by a great waitress.
This meal doesn't come cheap and while you know the price when you walk in, despite the quality and quantities being excellent, I think you're entitled to a little more. So, why five stars? We used a voucher to slash the price of the meal which was what made this decent value.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

The meat here is very good and you get very big portions but I have had better. We were served quickly despite the place being so busy that there was a 2 hour wait to eat at the bar.

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Very loud and crowded. Even though we had a reservation for 6, they put us at a table for 4. I don’t eat meat and ordered salad but instead of bringing my salad with everyone else’s main course, they brought it as an appetizer so, while all my friends were eating, I sat there with nothing. The bread was served as a whole loaf but the knife was too dull to cut it. The cocktails were awful...served in tiny glasses with almost no alcohol in them. The server tried to take my glass, without asking, before I was finished with it. They just need to get people in and out as quickly as possible.
This is a factory. Server told us they turn the tables 3-4 Times per night which explains why the service was so bad. There are SO many better places to get steak or prime rib in SF. I would NEVER go back here again