“Classic diner in a great neighborhood”
Review of Orphan Andy's

Orphan Andy's
Ranked #188 of 6,266 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Small diner in the Castro neighborhood. Delicious homemade breakfast, lunch, and dinner favorites. Open 24/7. Favorite for the LGBT community. I love the coffee and milk shakes.

Reviewed 22 October 2017

This gaudily-appointed, 24-hour establishment became a go-to place for us while we were staying in the Castro neighbourhood. This is partially because it is very close to our holiday rental; because it is open 24 hours a day; and because it is basically what pops into my head when I think "American diner".

We tried a number of the usual staples - the club sandwich, the fried chicken and the chilli - all of which were very nice. (A Philly cheesesteak was somewhat less successful.) Do yourself a favour, though, and order the cheeseburger. It was the best cheeseburger I have had so far in America, and beats the offerings at a number of the trendy burger bars in the area.

If you are in the Castro, perhaps for a big night out, you may well find Orphan Andy's an oasis for a wee-hours bite before heading home. You could do worse!

Reviewed 2 October 2017

To be fair, this is clearly a place where you go for burgers and sandwiches. I ordered a spicy chicken caesar salad--which I immediately regretted. I got a pile of lettuce with some pieces unseasoned chicken on it--the pile was completely smothered in barbeque sauce with salad dressing dumped on top of that. It was barely edible.
The waiter, who started out friendly and helpful, got busy chatting with other clients and we sat for a long time with empty water glasses and no drinks or way to order anything else. Eventually, we had to ask another waiter to ask him for our check.
The place is a cute diner, but there are plenty of places for excellent food and service in the Castro. Won't go back to Orphan Andy's!

Reviewed 29 September 2017

This little gem is located near the corner of Castrostreet/ Marketstreet and is open 24 hours a day. Every time i am in San Francisco i have most of my meals here. The decor is kitschy but the food is Very good and delicious. From breakfast to dinner. Soups and deserts. You can have breakfast whenever you prefer. They only serve non alcoholic drinks.
The majority of customers are from the LGBT community.
Sometimes it can be so busy that you have to wait in line to be seated. Especially in the weekends around 2am-3.30am. The staff is very kind and helpful. My favorite person behind the counter is a hispanic guy with glasses. He always called me "papi". He is so good in what he is doing and always in a good mood.

Orphan Andy's: A funny name for a diner

1  Thank John v
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Avoid this place if you care (a little) about what you ingest. Worst food experience in the US, I thought this only happened on that Gordon Ramsay reality show