“Authentic, delicious baked goods”
Review of Tartine Bakery

Tartine Bakery
Ranked #10 of 121 Bakeries in San Francisco
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Reviewed 14 March 2018

I've been wanting to come here for a very long time. I am glad I finally did it because it was an amazing culinary experience. Expect to wait in line which going down the block. Come anytime on the weekend and anticipate even longer lines. When you try their bread and pastries you will understand the reason for the lines. The place is pricey but you get your money's worth! My Croque Monsieur was delicious, perfectly toasted and seasoned, prepared from high quality ham and bread. Banana Cream Tart was one of the best I've ever tried and the portion was quite generous. Not too sweet, with REAL whipped cream, topped with delicious chunks of chocolate. Absolutely perfect balance of flavors and sweetness. You can come by later in the afternoon to buy freshly baked bread. After one week it will still be fresh and tasty, holding a proper texture. It reminds me of an old fashioned, natural Polish bread. The service here is always great, the staff is welcoming and friendly. This is by far the best bakery I have visited in California, and I've been to a lot!

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

There was a bit of a wait for this place but there's a good reason for that and it's definitely worth it! Everything in the cabinet looked pretty good but I had the pecorino and almond pressed sandwich, and the banana cream pie. Both were delicious! Absolutely loved the cream pie. So light but lots of flavour with perfect pastry. Wish I was staying in the city longer so I could go again!

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

waited for thirty or so minutes on a Saturday morning. My friend and I ordered morning buns, croissant, pain au chocolate, chocolate eclair, and coffee. Pastries were wonderful but found some the staff to be kind of rude. Granted it was prime time and busy, but the folks taking my order messed up (not a big deal it was loud and other people were ordering at the same time). I politely corrected the order at the cash register and I got eye rolls! Also it was difficult to get the meal to the table because each pastry has its own plate...one can only carry so much with two hands. I tried to consolidate my pastries and the woman working the register was super annoyed.

If you’re in the area you should check it out, but not sure it’s worth going out of the way to try it. Plenty of delicious bakeries in San Fran!

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I was told about this bakery from my Airbnb host. He told me it was supposedly the best bakery in the Bay Area. I read a little and saw they have been given some awards for being the best so I thought I try. Waited for about 5 minutes to order, wasn’t bad. Ordered a chocolate croissant and a latte. Latte was smooth and not scolding hot, which I like. The croissant was okay, next time I’ll get the morning bun because it looked delicious. Overall I’m not disappointed, but next time I won’t go out of my way to get it again.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

What a great smell you experience as you stand in line! We had only a 20 minute wait to order. The line moves fairly fast. Have someone save you a seat because seating inside is limited. The croissant was perfect. Buttery and crisp! The lemon tart was lemony and not too sweet. The banana puff was excellent too. The scone was grest. The canole was perfect. Yum!