“Breakfast heaven”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Reviewed 1 November 2016

On a 3-day trip to SF, we ate breakfast here twice! Excellent quiche, traditional croissant, bread pudding with fruit topping (the small is LARGE), orange and cinnimon breakfast bun, croissant jambon, croque monsieur, coffee, cappachino. The desserts are glorious-looking and must taste the same. Communal tables; small tables, enjoyable conversations with strangers.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

Decided to try this bakery for a sunday morning brunch having read about it in a few travel blogs. We knew it might be popular but we didn't expect to have to queue 40 minutes to get inside and order!
Thankfully what waited inside was worth the wait - the selection of pastries is just wow! My friend and I shared a gourmet sandwich, slightly greasy due to the vast amount of cheese inside but tasty nonetheless. It was also very filling and perfect to share as a light brunch. After our sandwich we could resist the treats on offer and so shared a banoffe type pastry with an americano each! Coffee was good.
Service was slow but to be expected due to its busy status during our visit. Despite this they were attentive and friendly. Not much seating available and while we wanted to sit outside this was not available. We ended up sharing a table with a nice young couple, which didn't bother us as we ended up getting lots of good advice from them on how to approach the rest of our time in the city! To others who might want something more private this set up might not be so ideal.
In terms of cost it was a little pricey but as a diner I don't mind paying for quality.
Overall it left a lasting impression and if I ever find myself in San Fran again I will certainly return.

Reviewed 26 October 2016

45 minutes wait on a Sunday morning at 9 AM, but well worth it. You wind up chatting with other people in line anyway, and turned out one of the women in line ahead of me was from the same area in Ohio!! I had the Double Chocolate Tea Cake and a Morning Bun. You have to try at least part of a Morning Bun if you go. It is a cross between a croissant and cinnamon roll with orange and sugar. Unbelievable!!

Reviewed 23 October 2016

I researched where the best sourdough could be attained in the bay area and Tartine Bakery popped up on the top or near the top of most every best list for bread.

Seems that their bread is only available at 4pm and they sell out quickly, so you need to be time sensitive.

A full loaf is a steep $9, but honestly it's huge. You might consider getting a half loaf.

There are about a half dozen types to choose from. I went with a olive sourdough.

As for taste, it was amazing. No regrets on the $9. I'd happily pay that again for another loaf.

Do expect a wait for bread.

Reviewed 21 October 2016

Amazing looking pastries and soooo many choices that you won't know where to begin. Sandwiches are huge and tasty if a bit greasy given that cheese is usually a major component. Service a bit slow.