“Long wait, but good food”

Dottie's True Blue Cafe
Ranked #35 of 5,643 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Description: Now located in a beautiful 1910 building with brick walls and hardwood floors with an open kitchen and very cozy atmosphere. Roof top seating when the weather permits for coffee and pastries or a glass of wine in the afternoon. We have an additional seating capacity of approximately 24 making for a quicker turnaround.
Minnesota
“Long wait, but good food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

The line at 11 am took almost 45 minutes and yet they were not seating some of the tables. The place had open tables but, was definitely short staffed as I saw only 3 servers. Not really sure if I'd stand in line for it again. If you do go, be sure to try the buttermilk toast!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank jaberwockey
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, UK
“Not the best, but pretty damn good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

This isn't the best breakfast spot I've ever been to, nor the best in San Francisco, but that's not to say it isn't delicious. The menu is extensive, with a full range of breakfast products and bread baked on the premises. I had a smoked salmon scramble which was delicious, and served with buttermilk toast. You could certainly taste that it had been freshly baked. My partner had a smoked chicken scramble with cheddar cheese corn bread and jalapeno jelly, which he really enjoyed. (And which I was sneaking plenty of mouthfuls of.) There were home fries served with both our breakfasts, and they were nice enough, but the portions were so ridiculously large we didn't get very far with them.

Service was friendly and polite, and I can't see the comments stating the staff were cocky at all. They weren't falsely over-effusive. I'd actually compare it more to British service, where things are a bit more subdued and you're not continually being asked if everything is okay, which I actually prefer anyway.

I've heard a lot of comments about the area this place is located in. San Francisco is a large city, and like all large cities, there are social problems. The atmosphere changes from one street to the next, in many cases. Yes, the area is a little sketchy, and I'd advise approaching it from Geary Street rather than walking down Taylor Street, but I didn't feel unsafe. And go early, because there *are* large queues, and I can imagine things get far more frantic later on in the morning.

• Visited February 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“One of the most overrated spots in SF”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We went here hoping for the best breakfast we had in San Francisco. My opinion is that you should never go to any restaurants featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. I've been to many, and they are NEVER as good as they look and they are always overpriced ($30 for two). This atmosphere of this place is blah. The employees act like they've earned a Medal of Honor and that we owe them to eat there! In short, they are cocky. I got the blueberry cornmeal pancakes, which were good, but not outstanding. My wife got home fries, eggs, and toast. She said the toast was excellent, but everything else was just ok. The waitress even tried to charge us for a coffee we didn't get. We went on Monday morning, so there was no wait, but I wouldn't recommend going here. You will be disappointed. Not to mention, it's in a sketch part of town. I'm from the south on the east coast, and we have wayyyy better breakfast.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Ryan H
Toronto, Canada
“So nice, I went twice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I had 4 mornings in San Francisco, and I only wish I could have gone here all 4 mornings. :) My friend found Dotties on Yelp, and since it was relatively close to our hotel near Union Square, we headed into the Tenderloin to have breakfast. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Sure, you need to plug your nose on the walk there, and you need to be comfortable with the colourful local characters as you wait in line (and believe me, there is probably always a wait), but once you are seated, prepare to be served one of the most comforting, and fulfilling diner breakfasts ever.

I had the black bean cakes with scrambled eggs, cornbread, and home fries. Yum. I don't even really like eggs, but the flavour of everything on the plate was incredible. There was no way I could finish my meal, and clearly had an enough food left on my plate for a second breakfast. But just because they serve it, doesn't mean you need to clear your plate! :) My friend also had scrambled eggs and fennel sausage w/ cornbread and home fries. Amazing.

The next morning, we got up again, and headed over for a repeat experience. I wanted to order Dotties "famous" pancakes, but ended up having the same dish again. It was just as good the second time. We would have gone back the remaining mornings, but we had an early morning Alcatraz tour one day, and Dotties was closed the next day.

If you want to experience great Americana food, in a great atmosphere (jazz music, pictures of jazz musicians/singers), go to Dotties. You won't regret it.

• Visited April 2012
UK
“Not worth queuing for!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Location is dreadful! Homeless problem around here is prolific! Not, a safe area!

Service at best was poor with the breakfast taking forever to appear after ordering.
The waitress with the cardigan gave the impression that you should be grateful to have her serve you! Not at all friendly or engaging and rather aloof!

Food was okay, but, just okay and as I said in my opening comment, definitely not worth queuing for!

• Visited April 2012