“Lovely eve”
Review of Le Colonial

Le Colonial
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Colonial is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #206 of 6,298 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Asian, French, Vietnamese, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Taylor and Jones
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

Service was attentive from the distance without over stepping. The food was delicious and the drinks were enjoyable. Wine seemed very expensive (all more than $40) with no inexpensive options. $150 total for 2 with only one course each, cocktail each and bottle of wine.

1  Thank Dawn L

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

We had an excellent meal at LE COLONIAL. The potstickers were fantastic, the fish wrapped in a banana leaf, and the lamb chops were delicious. For desert I recommend the BANANAMISU. Service very nice. Highly recommended.

1  Thank BERWOLF
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

We were in San Francisco for just a couple of nights and visited Le Colonial for dinner. The ambiance upon entering was refined and peaceful. The wait staff attentive and our food delicious. We both enjoyed the sea bass wrapped in banana leaves and it was excellent. Le Colonial is a hidden gem in San Francisco!

1  Thank Laurie S
Reviewed 16 August 2018

I've been to Le Colonial perhaps seven or eight times. Perhaps my very favorite thing about the restaurant is its atmosphere--you feel as if you are stepping into Vietnam. It is definitely one of the most unusual restaurants in San Francisco and, in my mind, it's one of the best ones to show visitors from other parts of the country. It's just so unique.

The food is Vietnamese and extremely vegan-friendly.

1  Thank criseyde
Reviewed 7 August 2018

I went for dinner at Le Colonial with some colleagues just last week. We arrived slightly early so we were seated on the cute second floor balcony. The ambience is refined, with soft lights and a pretty quiet environment for a very large dining room. The bar on the second floor has a spot for live music, but it is certainly not loud, allowing bar patrons to enjoy their music while you enjoy your dinner.
We stayed on the balcony for around 10 minutes (the heat lamp was VERY much appreciated in the cold evening), we would have liked to order a cocktail but we didn't manage to catch the attention of any staff so that was a little bit unfortunate.
We took seat at our table downstairs, in the main dining room. The atmosphere is refined but extremely welcoming, even if I would rate this place as the kind of restaurants you reserve for special occasions, I never felt the location was too uptight.
I am unable to give a good overview of the menu because I do not know Vietnamese food well. What I can say is that I had some absolutely delicious potstickers and a plate of their house specialty, Bo Luc Lac. It is a plate of wok stir-fried filet mignon (recommended medium-rare) tossed with fried potato sticks and pickled vegetables. It was so incredibly delicious that it was moving, absolutely exceptional. If you like soy flavors, I absolutely recommend it. We also had a plate of fried rice (perfectly cooked) and garlic noodles (tasty and not overwhelming) to share. To end the meal, I got their creme brulèe with black sesame and passion fruit. It was very delicate, which is just what I was looking for.
Bottom line, the food was absolutely delicious and of incredible quality. Welcoming location which exudes refinement without feeling uptight. Some could want perhaps the staff to be more attentive, but that's debatable.

1  Thank Lorenzo A