“A "Must-Try-Once" place”

Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We heard all the rave about this place, so we went on a Sunday morning (foolishly thinking the line won't be as long). Why the long line? It's a small place, you do literally have to wait for that party in front of you to finish before you get seated. The place is decorated French Country, and their French Toast is absolutely the best (they make this sampler french toast breakfast that I recommend -- made with banana nut bread, cinnamon swirl bread and cranberry orange bread.... yummy). Everything is excellent once you get in..... the service is super nice, that berry jam on your table is heavenly and I eat everything with it. But unfortunately, lines are long and they move slowly. I do recommend going once, but I can't wait in line for 90+ minutes every day to eat breakfast.

1  Thank Lisa K

Reviewed 26 April 2012

If you get upset because of the unpolite staff this isn't the place for you! his is my husband who couldn't enjoy his time because he had a bad time ordering the food and the cranky staff. But the food was very good! and the place is so tiny, cozy and charming! I liked in there, overall! We didn't go on the weekend so it wasn't impossibly crowded!

1  Thank Mk_rapunzel
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Mamma Mia! I wish every city had a Mama's. The deli case is loaded with the most attractive and yummy choices. I'd go to Mama's every day if I lived in the area. Everything is delicious - only wish there was more seating.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

So yes there was a long line outside the door on a tuesday morning but it was so worth it!!! The best breakfast hands down. Thick bacon, the best french toast!! A MUST HAVE if you are in the San Fran Area!!!! I Will be back just for MAMA's!!!

Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is one of my mainstays in SF, every time I visit I have to go here. There is of course a line, but it is worth every minute of it! The staff is always friendly, the food is fantastic!!!