“Worth the wait, best bakery goods and breakfast”

Mama's on Washington Square
Ranked #38 of 5,712 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
Chicago, Illinois
“Worth the wait, best bakery goods and breakfast”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We arrived at 7:45am (it opens at 8am) and there were already 30 people in line. We waited about and hour to actually eat but it was 100% worth the wait. The breakfast was absolutely delicious. I suggest the french toast! We also took a carrot cake (delicious!!!!) and a chocolate crumb cake to go for later! Francis Sanchez, the owner, took our order which i thought was very cool. She gave her suggestions and asked where we were from. The service and staff were friendly, and happy. The atmosphere is extremely warm and welcoming once you are in! So fun, will definitely return!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank KimG338
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Turkish first
Miramar, Florida
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I wanted to see what the hype was about this place... the reviews online were all great and even the people in San Fran said to check this place out. Me and my friend went on a Friday morning and waited about 45 min outside as the place is so small that the line ends up on the sidewalk. When we got in they make you order at a register and then once paid show you to your table. The food came out pretty quick and what I got looked amazing. I ordered the Eggs benedict, french toast sampler, and spiked lemonade (sooo good!). The food was rich, hot, and flavorful. The french toast just reminded me of like banana bread with syrup on it (different flavors) but the cinnamon swirl french toast was delish! Honestly, this place is busy all the time and with the way people just wolf down their food, the wait time is not that long. This isn't a sit n mingle place... its a come hungry, eat, and let the next person in. Lol It's worth the wait... it gave me the right ammunition to tackle San Fran on foot as the restaurant is right next to St Peter and Paul Cathedral, Coit Tower, and Pier 39... so we walked it all. Enjoy!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank ChristelleC650
Marshfield, England, United Kingdom
“best breakfast I've had, twice now.”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Food, ambience, service. Take a book - you may have to queue.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Jeremy W
Dallas
“The Apple Cured Bacon is the Star of the Show - just cooked crispy or in an omelett!”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I am not sure that I would wait in line for over an hour again, but it is one if "the" things to do when in San Francisco. The restaurant is seriously funky, little bitty, yet not too noisy...fun! The food us good, but I have had better. My husband lived his California Omelett with bacon, avocado and Monterey jack cheese. He also like the red potatoes. The sourdough toast with fresh jam was yum and the fresh OJ and grapefruit juice nice. My scrambled eggs were not that fluffy nor flavorful, so I chided down on the bacon. This is a good, one-time visit.

2 Thank JoInTexas
Zurich, Switzerland
“You need to go there”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The food is just great! Services is good but you need to wait quite a bit to go inside.. But we waited for more than 30min outside in the rain and would do it again without a problem, you won't regret it

1 Thank Eva097