“Always fun!”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #869 of 6,271 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Japantown
Cross street: Laguna /Webster
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

I love this place as do my kids. They make dining fun and it's a great way to celebrate or just be together with family. Cheaper at lunch, but still great food, entertainment and service. You can't be disappointed.

Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Loved this place! Our family enjoyed eating a special birthday lunch at this restaurant, our chef was funny and entertaining! The food was amazing and we will return here again soon! Great service and delicious food!

Reviewed 5 July 2017

I made dinner reservations through Open Table the previous night. Good thing too cuz walk-ins had a 45-90 minute wait. This place (in Japantown) was located not far from my hotel. Parking on street was scarce. There is a parking garage & the restaurant does not validate parking.

My 6:30p.m. reservation didn't mean much. We (3 of us, all adults) arrived on time & waited 15 minutes to be seated. Place was packed. I only saw one Oriental hibachi chef. Our table chef was Rafael. Good theatrics & jokes were tasteful.

My family & I have been to several Benihana restaurants but this was our first in San Francisco. I tossed between ordering the scallops or the tuna steak (which I've had both before at other Benihana's). I decided on scallops & am glad I did. Another table mate ordered the tuna steak & it was over-cooked (s/b pink in the middle, hers was totally white (outside & inside)). Server was over-tasked (too many tables to take care of). Had to ask 3x for my sweetie's Ichiban to be delivered. She finally brought it but brought the wrong one (she brought the light not the regular). Only one bartender & the bar was horseshoe-shaped w/about 25 seats around it. Clearly a 2nd bartender needs to be added.

Hibachi meals come w/steamed rice. Fried rice is $5 extra but does come w/chicken added to it. All parties (whether celebrating a birthday or not) receive a complementary 4x6 color photo in a Benihana paper frame (which was nice).

Restaurant is in a bldg that also houses a small shopping mall. Lots of other restaurants in there plus shops. Shops were closed by the time we finished our meals & left Benihana's.

Miso soup was good. Salad had large chunks of iceberg lettuce (which could have been cut smaller), one grape tomato & some shaved purple cabbage. Ginger dressing is only choice & already added. Quite juicy at the bottom of my salad bowl (not sure if that's from being in the fridge or the watered-down dressing).

Bathroom was clean but the trash can was overflowing to the point where used paper towels were on the floor. I told hostess who acknowledged misstep.

Restaurant was extremely cold inside. We all kept our jackets on throughout the meal. I even ordered hot tea (& had 4 refills) & could not get warm.

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

Absolutely outstanding food and service. We had a party of 8 and all of us were entertained. This was a fantastic ending to our night!

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

Me and my daughter had a beautiful Tappanyaki , Japanese style of cooking at Benihana. You should come try this Restaurant here at Japan Town San Francisco. The chef performance was amazing..