“Better than ever! Neighborhood bakery/cafe”

Thorough Bread and Pastry
Ranked #37 of 115 Bakeries in San Francisco
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I have returned to Thorough Bread and Pastry many times during my trips to SF. Since my first visit, this is now a very popular cafe and it's almost always full.

My favorites: almond croissants, tuna melt, Garden sandwich (roasted red peppers, eggplant, tomato with goat cheese on focaccia bread), and their delicious olive bread loaves. If the weather permits, sit in the back garden. The only thing I do not recommend is the chicken sandwich; it's actually pretty bad.

If you are in the Castro or the Mission area, you should stop here for breakfast, lunch, or an afternoon snack. Note that this restaurant is closed on Mondays

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

This pastry is a MUST if you plan to walk around Mission/District. Many types of standard bread but also a lot of cookies and delicious surprises! I've tried the chocolate bread and I coulnd't stop.
They also have good machines for coffe (espresso) and cappuccino, just perfect for a tasty breakfast before a long exploring day of San Francisco.

Reviewed 12 November 2009

This place is open!! I don’t know when it was closed by I was there several times last week and know from friends that’s been open (at least this year); except on Mondays. It is a typical neighborhood bakery and coffee shop. Very enjoyable atmosphere and great pastries and sandwiches. I went here several times during my recent visit to San Francisco because of reviews I read on Yelp, and because it happened to be close to my daughter’s. All their pastry look very tempting but I stuck to their croissants for breakfast. My favorite were the almond croissants; fluffy and not overstuffed with almond butter. I tried the same at Tartine’s and didn’t find them as good as Thorough Bread’s. They also serve sandwiches and soups and it's open pretty much all day. The place is quite nicely decorated and pretty big inside. I didn’t sit outdoors but saw that they have quite a big patio with tables in the back. A FaceBook reviewer here mentioned that you have a great view of the park. I’m afraid there is no such view and no park in the back or front of the building.

The service was outstanding, very charming young people. One peculiar thing that I loved about this place is that the owners provide internships to graduates of the San Francisco Banking Institute. It’s a win-win situation as the new graduates get an internship in artisan bakery and the owners are able to keep their prices pretty low. I paid about $4 for a croissant and a large cup of tea for breakfast in one of my visits. Sandwiches were around $7 and looked very appetizing too. You get to see them cooking as the kitchen is part of the open coffee shop area. I highly recommend this place for breakfast, lunch or afternoon coffee whenever you visit The Castro area of San Francisco.

1  Thank Expat-in-Cabarete
Reviewed 18 April 2008

The food is basically what you'd expect. Pretty good cakes and stuff. But, it is really rare to find a place where the people who work there will go the extra mile to make sure that you have a good time in there spot.

Excellent service and a nice view of the park.

1  Thank fairamerican
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 13 December 2007

ok if no other place to eat desert

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook