“Talk about a hidden gem”
Review of Cafe La Taza - CLOSED

Cuisines: Latin, Cafe
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Reviewed 26 July 2014

From the street you may think this is a tiny café, but its three stories tall. I recommend going up to the larger third floor dining room and sitting on the enclosed deck overlooking the 18th st. and a good bit of the Castro district. Our waitress was very friendly and the service was good. The real treat here is the food though. This is very good Latin American food at almost cheap prices. I started with maybe the best sangria I’ve ever tasted. Yum. I ordered Plantano Verde for $5 which was excellent and the presentation was very nice. I had Pollo en Mole $17 and it was delicious half a chicken with mole sauce and the cilantro rice was super. My partner had Pollo al Romero $16 (half chicken with olives lemon, fresh rosemary) served with spinach and cilantro rice. He loved every bite. My only complaint was the appetizers came only a few seconds before the main courses which was awkward, but everything was so good, so inexpensive and friendly that the overall experience was delightful. I can’t wait to go back and take friends the next time I’m in San Francisco.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I've been coming here for years. It's my Go-To lunch spot, especially if I have friends in town. I'm sitting on the patio right now, as I finish a great glass of wine after a great steak lunch. I come here for the bistek. Always cooked exactly the way I want it. Service is always exceptional.

Don't be scared by the street level cafe. Venture upstairs for the real deal.

I can't say how much I love this place. Servers are attentive without being in the way. Kitchen and delivery is fast.

I'd usually squabble about paying $14 for an entree, but the steak is so worth it. Perfectly seasoned, with just the right amount of toppings.

Extensive wine list, and the sangria. Can we take a minute to talk about that Heaven in a glass? It'll knock you back.

If you're in town, or a local, and want a nice spot away from the "Castro", try Cafe La Taza. You will not be disappointed!

1  Thank DSCH415
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stood in front of this restaurant trying to decide to try it or two others nearby. A local woman walking her dog recommended La Taza and she was right. The food was terrific, as was the friendly, attentive service. Looking to check out The Castro district and do dinner somewhere? Try La Taza.

1  Thank tomsL2859CC
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We had a long travel day the day before we ate at Cafe La Taza. The menu is expansive and the food was fantastic! Great location if you are staying in Nob Hill. It opens early which is great for those on east coast time.

1  Thank ckamlet
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is an excellent place, we went twice (we were at San Francisco only 3 nights). The food is really good, choice of fish or meat or pasta, for 12 to 20$. The service was also perfect!
Francis & Valérie