“great value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
Ranked #168 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Long Island, New York, USA
“great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I needed a hotel in this part of San Francisco since my son just moved there, I was traveling by myself and safety is always a priority when I do so, there aren't many hotels in this part of the city and The Carl Hotel was one, I read reviews here and on Yelp and also asked my son to check it out for me. I have nothing but positive things to say, I found it to be in a nice clean neighborhood, yes the muni stops by and it is noisy but thats also a plus if you need to get around to other parts of SF, the noise didn't bother me and it doesn't run on the weekends so it was very quiet then, the bus still runs so if you need to get around you still have that convenience. The room was small, more like a European hotel but big enough for me. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. There is a small fridge and a microwave. There isn't a bathtub, but the shower always had hot water. I already booked this hotel for my next visit and will use this hotel as long as my son lives in this neighborhood. You are within walking distance of Golden Gate Park, which is fantastic, there are shops and coffee shops all close by I think The Carl Hotel is a fantastic value!!!

Room Tip: I asked for a room on one of the upper floors, that was advice I had read about when I was reviewin...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
12 Thank karen r
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Eureka, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

The staff are kind and friendly. The cost is very reasonable for San Francisco, and the rooms, while older, are clean and nice. Many of the guests are there for appointments or surgery at UCSF medical center, because it is very near.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank Emily D
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

I needed to be at UCSF for an interview and didn't want to rent a car, so I was in need of a close hotel in walking distance. This hotel was surprisingly great, and my stay was excellent! The hotel is older, and the rooms are small with old furnature, but the bed is very comfortable and everything is clean. There is a small TV, but it gets a ton of channels so I was fine with it, and there was free Wifi to boot as well as a small fridge and microwave. I chose a room with a private bathroom, which was clean and huge. Yes, there is a MUNI train that goes right past the hotel, which didn't really bother me since my room was on an upper floor near the back of the hotel and was overall quiet. I slept through the night while I was there, and the MUNI was so convenient to get downtown and to the wharf to do some sightseeing. I really enjoyed my stay, and would recommend it to anyone who needs to be close to UCSF and would like the option of walking there/not needing a car in SF.

Room Tip: Room on an upper floor and near the back of the hotel, if possible, if you want to be assured of a q...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank Kate C
Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I am going to join those who think the rooms are small and really outdated. Although the front desk staff was very helpful, the rooms are a disaster. The non-smoking room smelled of smoke, had two light bulbs out, had a 14" TV, and our feet stuck to the linoleum in the bathroom. Bedspreads were dirty and the blankets had holes in them. Chairs and carpet were stained. OK, I could go on, but you get the picture. Location is great, neighborhood is great, parking is easy, but this place really needs updating.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Greta J

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I had an interview at UCSF Children's Hospital and Carl Hotel is just a 10-15 minute walk from there. The room is very clean. And yes, the amenities are a little sparse (14" tv, older bathroom) but the condition is good, there weren't any "holes" or "cracks" that I would associate with an older hotel. The front desk staff, Bill was very nice and helpful. The room is small, mine faced Carl St, like a previous reviewer said, the trolley that runs along Carl St stops after a certain time at night and only resumes sometime after 7am I believe, but the on on Stanyan runs later (I'm not sure when it stops). Also, you can hear when the rooms above and around you are taking showers and hear their water run. For a really light sleeper, it might be an issue. For me, it was no problem at all, the trolleys never bothered me, I slept through all of it. You can try to request rooms not facing the street to try to get a quieter sleep.
I was there in December so it gets cold at night, the rooms come with a portable/mobile heating unit that tends to make a trickling sound for a while after you turn it on (so light sleepers be sure to turn it on earlier). No breakfast is included, but 2 blocks away on Cole St, there are several coffee, breakfast places with the earliest opening at 7am. There is also a wine bar and some restaurants that open late.

Overall, this is a great hotel for it's proximity to UCSF (within walking distance is a huge plus!), and unbeatable price! I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo