“Surprising Gem near UCSF.”
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
Ranked #166 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I needed to be at UCSF for an interview and didn't want to rent a car, so I was in need of a close hotel in walking distance. This hotel was surprisingly great, and my stay was excellent! The hotel is older, and the rooms are small with old furnature, but the bed is very comfortable and everything is clean. There is a small TV, but it gets a ton of channels so I was fine with it, and there was free Wifi to boot as well as a small fridge and microwave. I chose a room with a private bathroom, which was clean and huge. Yes, there is a MUNI train that goes right past the hotel, which didn't really bother me since my room was on an upper floor near the back of the hotel and was overall quiet. I slept through the night while I was there, and the MUNI was so convenient to get downtown and to the wharf to do some sightseeing. I really enjoyed my stay, and would recommend it to anyone who needs to be close to UCSF and would like the option of walking there/not needing a car in SF.

Room Tip: Room on an upper floor and near the back of the hotel, if possible, if you want to be assured of a q...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
8  Thank Kate C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

I am going to join those who think the rooms are small and really outdated. Although the front desk staff was very helpful, the rooms are a disaster. The non-smoking room smelled of smoke, had two light bulbs out, had a 14" TV, and our feet stuck to the linoleum in the bathroom. Bedspreads were dirty and the blankets had holes in them. Chairs and carpet were stained. OK, I could go on, but you get the picture. Location is great, neighborhood is great, parking is easy, but this place really needs updating.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Greta J
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I had an interview at UCSF Children's Hospital and Carl Hotel is just a 10-15 minute walk from there. The room is very clean. And yes, the amenities are a little sparse (14" tv, older bathroom) but the condition is good, there weren't any "holes" or "cracks" that I would associate with an older hotel. The front desk staff, Bill was very nice and helpful. The room is small, mine faced Carl St, like a previous reviewer said, the trolley that runs along Carl St stops after a certain time at night and only resumes sometime after 7am I believe, but the on on Stanyan runs later (I'm not sure when it stops). Also, you can hear when the rooms above and around you are taking showers and hear their water run. For a really light sleeper, it might be an issue. For me, it was no problem at all, the trolleys never bothered me, I slept through all of it. You can try to request rooms not facing the street to try to get a quieter sleep.
I was there in December so it gets cold at night, the rooms come with a portable/mobile heating unit that tends to make a trickling sound for a while after you turn it on (so light sleepers be sure to turn it on earlier). No breakfast is included, but 2 blocks away on Cole St, there are several coffee, breakfast places with the earliest opening at 7am. There is also a wine bar and some restaurants that open late.

Overall, this is a great hotel for it's proximity to UCSF (within walking distance is a huge plus!), and unbeatable price! I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank Seaf00dGuy
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The room was small but clean and affordable, just what I was looking for. I could walk to the hospital (UCSF Parnassus). I did wear my ear plugs to drown out some traffic noise but overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank SusanAnacortes_WA
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We needed a cheap place to stay near UCSF. There are no elevators, so if you have a lot of luggage, hopefully you are strong. And if you have a lot of luggage, the room is very small. There is a fridge, microwave, and free wi-fi! The bathroom is very small and makes funny noises sometimes and the sink is in the bedroom itself. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, but since the hotel is directly along the Muni line, it can be very loud, so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Everything was pretty clean, however quite old.

The location is great, in Cole Valley by some nice restaurants and shops and the Muni stops right in front of the hotel. Also this area is not touristy like Union Square and quite safe. We were not sure how long we needed to stay at the hotel and they were flexible with the cancellation, just 24 hours notice. The staff were also very friendly.

I would probably recommend this to friends who want some place cheap just to sleep, but not for my parents or people with more picky tastes.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple