“Great place, perfect location, great service!”
Review of The Grove Inn

The Grove Inn
Ranked #7 of 73 San Francisco B&B and Inns
“Great place, perfect location, great service!”
Reviewed 31 August 2008

A colleague and I spent a night in San Francisco visiting friends at the end of a business trip out West. We arrived at the Grove Inn, a historic Victorian, and were met by the owner, who was friendly and helpful as we unloaded. We engaged him in conversation about the city, and he gave us advice on how to get around. He told us about the history of the inn and how he came to own and renovate it. Our room was clean, if simple, and the location was on a tree-lined side street just a stone's throw from Alamo Square Park and the Painted Ladies, yet in the heart of the city. We had a parking spot next to the inn for a nominal fee. We had to be at the airport before breakfast, and he provided coffee and pastries for us. It was just what we wanted for the money. Perfect!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Deirdre55
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bay Area
Reviewed 9 October 2006

I booked a room WELL in advance through Travelocity. Upon arriving at the Grove Inn, the Innkeeper answered the door, took one look at my boyfriend and I (who, might I add are both clean cut 25 year olds), and said he had no rooms and he had "bounced back" all emails from online providers telling them so. I asked why he didn't call to tell us this, he said "It's not my responsibility!" He then SLAMMED the door in our face. We immediately called Travelocity, whose first step was to call the facitlity themselves to see if they ccould clear up the issue. The Innkeeper answered the first time and then when he heard that it was Travelocity calling, told the representative to call some "other" number - which he refused to provide!! Then, after the Travelocity representative found that "other" number and called it, the Innkeeper put him on hold for 40 MINUTES!! When he finally answered he told Travelocity that he never received an email from them and knew nothing about any reservation and couldn't do anything as he was all full. It took 3 hours to find another room in the city as it was Fleet Week - we had to cancel our dinner reservation and plans with friends, and I have NEVER in my LIFE been treated so disrespectfully! The only reason I can imagine that this man was so rude was because my boyfriend and I do not fit the profile of his "usual" B&B-ers, which are probably over the age of 65. I am taking measures to ensure that the relationship of this facility and any online booking service is severed because they obviously have no problem taking money for reservations and not honoring them.

• Liked — nothing.
  • Disliked — the rudeness, lack of professionality, oh - and the fact that they took my money and didn't honor my reservation!
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here it is a waste and you are throwing away your moneyY!!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
22 Thank emilyc456
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 27 June 2006

It's not particularly central, nor particularly good value, but the Grove Inn is light, airy, and clean. The breakfast exists in name only - you'll get coffee and a bread product. Perhaps some refrigerated fruit. The owner is friendly, but does not live permanently at the Inn. If you are arriving late (after 10) or checking out early (before 7), you'll need to make arrangements in advance. The Inn is at least fifteen minutes' walk from the parts of San Francisco a tourist might want to explore, and some of the surrounding areas are a little dodgy, but there are regular bus lines near by, and a fantastic Persian-owned coffee shop round the corner.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank IMK78
Vancouver
Reviewed 20 March 2006

If you are thinking about staying at the Grove Street Inn, you should first know about the front door issue before you decide to book. The front door to the inn does not use a key; instead, you punch a code into a number pad before turning the door knob. Punching in the code is easy; turning the door knob is not. Upon my arrival, Mr. Zimmerman took me outside, showed me the code and told me to try opening the door myself. Well, I punched in the code correctly, then turned the door knob, but to no avail. When I failed the second, third, and fourth time, he annoyingly declared, "you still are not doing it correctly," to which I had to reply that I had been opening doors my whole life and so far had managed such a difficult tasks correctly, and that I also held an advanced degree, but clearly, his door knob was beyond me. It is an EXTREMELY tempermental door knob that - as far as I could tell - requires you to turn it and push in at a precise and perfect motion, or else it will not unlock. As I continued through several more attempts, I commented that perhaps he needed to get a new lock because it clearly was a problem for his guests, and to this he insisted that I "was one of the very few guests who couldn't open the door." Suspicious of this response, I nevertheless gave up trying to open the front door, and told him he was simply going to have to let me in when I came back to the inn. To this, he (again) annoyingly commented that as long as I came back before 10pm, someone would be there to let me in; otherwise, I was on my own. Well, the next afternoon, when I was standing outside, trying unsuccsessfully to open the front door, three other guests were outside waiting for a taxi, and I asked one of them if they too had trouble with the door. They told me that they did indeed have trouble, and that the evening previosly, they had stood outside for "almost fifteen minutes", trying to open the door, because it was around midnight and no-one was there to let them in. Of course, this response did not surprise me, but it DID show that Mr. Zimmerman was most definitely less than truthfull about the difficulty of the lock for the rest of his guests. Furthermore, on my last day there, I came back with a friend who also tried to open the door, but he also couldn't do it. The reason I bring this up is because I find it rather insulting that, first, I paid money to stay at an inn that essentially prevented me from freely coming and going as I chose; secondly, when confronting the owner about the difficulty of the lock, I was blatantly lied to; and third, even if SOME of the guests can open the door, the fact is that the money of ALL the guests is equally as good, and if guests are having trouble opening the door, then the door should be fixed.

Asside from the front door, the inn itself is quite clean and comfortable. It's just a shame that its proprietor is dishonest and unhelpful to all of his guests.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
19 Thank ArcherVancouver
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 October 2005

I agree with the first reviewer on all accounts. For a moderately-priced B&B, this one is a real find. It's not fancy, but the rooms are comfortable, clean and very adequate. Make sure you bring your own shampoo and conditioner, as only soap is provided. It is on a quiet residential street and any point of interest is very easy to get to with public transportation. We had a problem parking one night when we came home quite late on a weekend, but usually it is okay, and you are probably better off leaving your car there and taking the bus anyway. Breakfast is also simple, but adequate, and their coffee is very good. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a budget-priced B&B in SF.

• Stayed May 2005