“thoroughly enjoyable experience”
Review of Artists Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Artists Inn
Ranked #22 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
New Zealand
“thoroughly enjoyable experience”
Reviewed 15 August 2009

September 08 my husband my sister and I stayed at the Artists Inn for a week. We had the garden room which was brilliant for the three of us as there were 2 bedrooms and sufficient space to spread out and relax in. We loved it here. It had a genuine homely feel which was great at the end of a full day sightseeing. The beds were comfortable with the most luxurious pillows and the hosts provide a great array of books to choose from. It was important to us to be able to make a cup of tea in our room and we especially appreciated the complimentary bottles of wine left in the fridge daily. Our one regret was that we were too busy taking in the sights of the city and surrounding areas to really enjoy time in the lovely courtyard garden. The location is brilliant-easy walking distance to restaurants and attractions, and it felt very safe walking around at night. This is a great place to stay and we would certainly stay there again. We would also happily recommend Artists Inn to others as an excellent choice when looking for accommodation in Sanfransisco. Thanks for a lovely time,
Angie, Roger and Trish Blenheim/ Taupo NZ

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank AngeNewZealand
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney
Reviewed 23 July 2009

My 8 year old daughter and I stayed in the Garden Room for 4 nights in July 2009. It was our last stop before heading home to Sydney after a busy 6 week trip. I paid a little extra to use the loft (another bed seperated from the garden room). Was worth every cent. we were so comfortable and cosy. Plus my daughter loved having her own space and tv.

The Artist's Inn has a special quality that I can't describe. I felt so content, happy and safe here. The Inn is located just a few doors away from Fillmore Street. Lots of great cafes, shops etc. Its a quiet and safe area. We only got a taxi twice - rest of the time we got around on the street cars, cable or buses - too easy. Never waited more than a couple of minutes.

Denise and Bill are incredibly gracious, thoughtful and generous hosts. The B&B is staggeringly beautiful. There is a charm and attention to detail that can only be truly appreciated when you visit. Even if you don't use it the garden area is blissful and is a real oasis. There is a side entrance to all the rooms so you don't need to enter through the house. I did cause I enjoyed chatting with Denise and Bill.

The room we stayed in was below their living area. I didn't mind the house noises from above - it was strangely comforting for me. If you are a couple you may prefer one of the other rooms that is seperate from the main house. They let us check in when we arrived (10am). This made a huge difference to our day. And our flight back to Sydney was late at night and there was no problem checking out late. They also let my daughter use their computer - very kind!

The beds and linen were so comfy and there was a huge library of books to browse. We slept so well. We arrived super tired after roaming NYC and Disneyland. We left super rested and content.

They don't serve breakfast but its a one minute walk to any number of cafes.

I will be back here in a heart beat. Lets keep this a secret so don't go telling everyone about this!!!

• Stayed July 2009
London
Reviewed 20 July 2008

We stayed at the Artist's Inn for 8 days and stayed in Robert's Room. We loved our room, such a generous size and beautiffuly decorated and arranged. It felt very homely and was lovely to have a sofa to relax and chill out. The bathroom is a great size and a joy to use.

In fact we loved the room so much it was almost too hard to leave for a day's sightseeing.

We also really appreciated the mini kitchen and the complimentary bootle of wine - such a great idea. It was lovely to have a coffee in the morning and have the occasional breakfast in our room instead of eating out the whole time.

Denise and Bill are lovely and their house is beautiful.

The house is in a fantastic little neighbourhood with some great shops (Benefit, MAC, Aveda, Kiehls, plus lots of clothes shops and a few book shops) and places to eat. There's also a fantastic little cinema 10 minutes up the road. The Inn is also near the fantastic Yoshi's - a great place to hear some jazz.

My only criticism is that there was sometimes a bit of noise in the morning (there's an entry point system to access the rooms), with people coming and going I found the buzzer quite loud!

The pillows were a bit too soft for me and it would have been helpful to have some rudimentary info about how to get about in the city. We initially found the bus system a bit confusing until we got a map, so maybe a map in the room would be a good idea?

Really really minor points though. I would come back here in a heartbeat!

• Liked — Pretty much everything!
  • Disliked — soft pillows - bit too soft for me
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonLuce
Tucson
Reviewed 6 June 2008

We stayed at the Artists Inn for one week. Denise and Bill no longer serve breakfast but there were wonderful places to eat within several blocks. We stayed in Robert's Room, but I peeked into Virginia's room and I think I liked that one better. We loved Filmore Street which was a 1/2 block away. Filmore is where the old rock and roll bands used to play. Very easy walking distance to restaurants, cafes, yoga studios, new trendy stores but several resale stores, small corner convience store and Lily's laundry who did our wash and fold. No need to rent a car, taxi ride to the Embarcadero was around 10 dollars. It was the best of both worlds, didn't have to eat breakfast around a host's schedule but didn't have to wait in line for the elevator and the hassles of hotel rooms. THere was a tiny little kitchen in a hall closet to keep juice and cream or sodas. A microwave would have been nice but I absolutly love having a refrigerator available along with a nice room and bath. Some noise, and always everywhere in CA, the nights are so light, bring your eyemask. Wonderful place, can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Location, location, location, price but really geared towards adult couples.
  • Disliked — Really needs some blackout curtains for night time.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, New Mexico
Reviewed 16 June 2007

Even being very particular about where I stay, the Artist's Inn managed to exceed my expectations. The room we had was
not only very comfortable, quiet, clean, and complete with comforters, down pillows, and extra blankets (as well as a heater), a refrigerator, cups, silverware, and whatever you might need to have a bite to eat in the room, a spotless bathroom with a wonderful shower, and a lot of books, and also access to a private garden area. The breakfast was wonderful. I had searched a long time to find a place to stay in San Francisco where I could breathe natural air through an open window, as well as be on the ground rather than in a high-rise hotel--and finally found this. The owner who turned the home into a B&B put a lot of thought into what a traveler would need, and I didn't find anything missing.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Beverly50