“Fantastic authentic Udon soup and sushi”
Review of Dojima-Ann

Dojima-Ann
Ranked #310 of 6,311 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Reviewed 30 April 2017

When I went to San Francisco I had one mission, to find a great Udon soup. I found it here. I saw this place through the window and saw only Japanese customers sitting inside, I thought that was a good sign. Being the only nos Japanese customer when i sat down gave me great confidence in the food available. The service was friendly and professional, extremely efficient. The Nabe Yaki Udon was almost decadent in its richness. Egg, chicken, mushroom, tempura shrimp and lots of udon noodles and vegetables, cooked to perfection. Umami, tasty, delicious and very good value. Breaking the egg yolk and letting it pour on the other ingredients covering them in richness and flavor was a highlight. The bowl is a very large serving, enough to share, but I still had to try the sushi so I ordered a single hamachi sushi to try the quality of the yellowfin tuna. I did not disappoint, I was in fact disappointed I was unable to order more. Reason enough to live or work nearby. I will return.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank Edward S

Reviewed 16 April 2017

Went here with my daughter while in town on vacation - wait was not too bad. Once inside not sure what order they served. Maybe last one in served first. They got our order all messed up... served the food to another table then brought it to us. The family sitting next to us also got their order messed up. The chicken was overdone and the beef was very fatty. Maybe their sushi is good but I will not try the place again

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

Best sushi I had in San Francisco (my wife would not say the same for the warm dishes...)!
We went there 3 days in a row. Fatty tuna for $8/pair is a good value for the money. Be prepared for a long wait...

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

We were on the wait list for 15 mins or so but it was well worth it, really tasty food, ready quickly and very relaxed. Soba noodles were lovely, a good antidote to a week of eating out. Staff were very efficient without being pushy and although it was busy it wasn't so noisy as to prevent conversation.

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

Hmm...this one is hard to write. It's my first negative review and it's a one star. Here goes:
1. Went with my parents for a table of 3 and waited in line outside in the cold which is fine since everyone else was doing it so assuming this was a good restaurant.
2. Other tables of 2 that filled in their names after us got seated before us which is also understandable given the seating arrangement.
3. Did not place our order until 25 minutes later as other tables have not ordered and they were busy cleaning tables to seat new patrons as well as tables waiting to pay and swipe their credit cards. This is ALSO understandable as there's only two front staff waiting 42 heads (I counted).
4. Rainbow Roll came out which was aesthetically pleasing and tastes ok (picture insert).
5A. Mains came out and instead of Curry Udon which was what we ordered they came out with Tori Udon. This is alright considering my Aussie accent in SF where "water" is often mistaken for "order". What eventuated was what frustrated me.
5B. Instead of simply apologising for getting the order wrong, staff insisted it was Tori Udon and then asked if we were ok with just accepting it!! Umm no.
5C. Curry Udon came out and still no sign of an apology but did manage to slam the Curry Udon on the table causing some Japanese curry sauce to leave the bowl and land itself of people's clothing.

Still no apology...

Needless to say, we did not tip our $57.45 meal which is a first for not tipping in the States. Even though I'm against the 15, 18, 20% suggestions on the receipt as tipping is a reward NOT a right for good hospitality service, I couldn't justify giving them anything form of tip and believe me I was contemplating it.

NB. Food was average but it could've been better had I not been angry whilst eating it causing a skewed judgement of the taste of the food. Hence the question mark in the title above.