“book menu of beers, european basement feel”
Review of La Trappe Cafe

La Trappe Cafe
Ranked #1,037 of 6,304 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Russian Hill
Reviewed 29 September 2017

I didn't eat any food, so this review is purely based on the beer experience.

Right on the trolley line, the restaurant looks pretty small and unassuming when you step inside, but go down the spiral iron stair case to the basement where the bar situated and it feels like you've entered a european pub. The menu is literally a book (about 20 pages or so) with beers from all over Europe. It was a little daunting, but the waiter was super helpful and was able to give us some great recommendations. I would recommend this spot if you are a lover of beer and are in the North Beach part of town.

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Solo traveler. At first I thought the place was closed, as the ground floor was empty however I then noticed a sign, saying they were downstairs in the cellar.
Good atmosphere downstairs.
HUGE selection of beers and the ones I had were very good.
I had the mussels which were tasty however actual mussels in their shells, were a little smaller than I am use to in Spain. I've since been told that this is the typical Belgian mussel.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 5 May 2017

If you desire a different pallet, here is the place for you. The Belgian dishes are great and very, very tasty. I recommend eating down stairs, as you have a better feel of a Belgian stone cottage. the meat and vegetables were so good. the sauce it came with.... yummm plate licking good.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

Quite unexpected to be drinking Kwaremont beer from Oudenaarde, Belgium (where I live) in San Francisco. Nice food and good beers!

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 30 January 2017

One of my favorite SF meals ever. It's cozy, euro, inviting, and everything on the menu is DELICIOUS!!! I was not expecting this from the modest exterior, but OMG come in, especially on a cold, SF day, go down the stairs to the more "taverny" downstairs, and enjoy a true feast!

Service is amazing - the wait staff are beyond friendly and will go way out of their way to make sure you have a good experience.

The beers and wine selection is on point. The waiters all can guide you to the perfect beer/wine if you can describe what you're looking for. I wanted a dry, sour cider, and they got me to the perfect one for my meal. They're also happy to provide samples, so just ask!

And now the food. Oh. My. God.
-The Frites - you cannot go to a Belgian spot and not try the frites. They invented fries! These are crispy all around but not overcooked like some twice-fried fries can be. There's a plethora of sauces available, my favorites being wasabi mayo, chipotle ketchup, and the traditional belgian ketchup. I'd recommend getting one mayo-based and one ketchup-based sauce to try. For added kicks, mix them for a blush sauce!
-The mussels - we ordered a large order for 6 people to snack and share, in the traditional Mariniere style (The classic preparation with shallots, garlic, celery, onions, wine and witbier). It was so good! The sauce seeped into the mussels and they tenderly burst with flavor. It's a lighter, white sauce and not too thick, perfect for dipping bread or fries into.
-Steak Frittes - steak and fries, a classic. But this was so well done. The steak was cut into strips, making it a very share-able plate. It was tender, juicy, and perfectly cooked. The fries were, as mentioned above, fry-perfection.
-The grand finale, my favorite dish of the day: GHENTSE CHICKEN WATERZOOI, a traditional light Belgian Mary’s organic chicken stew with cream, potatoes, carrots, onion, and celery. TRUST ME PLEASE, THIS IS INSANELY GOOD. I did not expect this to blow me away, but it was creamy, just sweet enough from the aromatics, hearty without being heavy, and had such a unique flavor. It was crazy crazy good. I would recommend this dish over and over and over, and will over it over and over and over.
-Dessert was delicious and light. I forget the name (not helpful) but someone from my party said they could now die happy. I'm sure whatever you get here, you won't be disappointed!

Highly recommended for a cool date night, a group outing, guys meet up, or anytime you just want good, homey food and drink!

Date of visit: January 2017