“book menu of beers, european basement feel”
Review of La Trappe Cafe

La Trappe Cafe
Ranked #1,045 of 6,004 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Russian Hill
Reviewed 29 September 2017

I didn't eat any food, so this review is purely based on the beer experience.

Right on the trolley line, the restaurant looks pretty small and unassuming when you step inside, but go down the spiral iron stair case to the basement where the bar situated and it feels like you've entered a european pub. The menu is literally a book (about 20 pages or so) with beers from all over Europe. It was a little daunting, but the waiter was super helpful and was able to give us some great recommendations. I would recommend this spot if you are a lover of beer and are in the North Beach part of town.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Solo traveler. At first I thought the place was closed, as the ground floor was empty however I then noticed a sign, saying they were downstairs in the cellar.
Good atmosphere downstairs.
HUGE selection of beers and the ones I had were very good.
I had the mussels which were tasty however actual mussels in their shells, were a little smaller than I am use to in Spain. I've since been told that this is the typical Belgian mussel.

Reviewed 5 May 2017

If you desire a different pallet, here is the place for you. The Belgian dishes are great and very, very tasty. I recommend eating down stairs, as you have a better feel of a Belgian stone cottage. the meat and vegetables were so good. the sauce it came with.... yummm plate licking good.

Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

Quite unexpected to be drinking Kwaremont beer from Oudenaarde, Belgium (where I live) in San Francisco. Nice food and good beers!

Reviewed 1 March 2017

I have never seen such a wide selection of beer, they give you a book with plastic inserts with the various selections. Truly amazing.
The food is special too, mussels being the favourite, but great burgers too.
For some reason they fill the cellar bar first, so looking in from the street it seems like the place is empty. And the cellar was freezing cold when we visited. Uncomfortably cold, we ate but didn't stay any longer.