We stayed seven nights in this hotel, which we only booked because of reviews on TripAdvisor. It probably would not have been our first choice, but in the week we were trying to find accommodation, hotel rooms were both scarce and expensive. (Turns out there were a couple of big conferences in SFO while we were there).
First impressions were not that positive. The building is not particularly attractive - think 1970s motel - and it is near the intersection of two busy streets. The room itself (332 from memory) had a rather dated decor and fittings. However, first impressions can be deceptive and such was the case here. Castle Inn is a brilliant place for a traveller on a budget who nevertheless wants comfort and convenience. This hotel ticks all the boxes. The room was spacious and extremely clean, the bed very comfortable and the water pressure in the good-sized bathroom excellent. The windows open (oh, joy!) and the service is efficient and friendly. Parking is free. This was originally one of the reasons for our booking, but as it turned out we decided not to have a car while we were in SFO. A good decision, because public transport is cheap and efficient. The location is excellent. Russian Hill is well served by streetcars and two cable car lines are within easy walking distance. Nearby Polk Street has excellent restaurants (try Rex Cafe and Leopold's - both are great!) and there are lots of restaurants on nearby Union Street.
Overall, this hotel is a gem. The only drawback, as far as we were concerned, was the lacklustre breakfast offerings. The hotel will not appeal to anyone expecting luxury and it may be a problem for travellers who cannot cope with a bit of traffic noise. In relation to that issue, we were on the top floor, near the front of the building and next to the lift. Noise was really not a problem.
If we ever get back to San Francisco - and I very much hope that we do - Castle Inn will be our first choice for accommodation. You never know, the breakfasts may improve in the meantime!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Described by guests as "the ideal place to stay in San Francisco," Castle Inn offers beautiful rooms, a fantastic location, and wonderful, friendly service. With FREE PARKING, FREE wireless internet access, in-room coffee, cable TV with HBO, hairdryers, iron/boards, mini-fridge/freezers, microwaves, a/c, and mini-breakfast, you have all of the comforts of home. Perfectly situated for your SF visit, we are within walking distance to Fisherman?s Wharf, Chinatown, Cable Cars, Crookedest Street, and more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Castle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Hotel San Francisco
- Castle Motel San Francisco
- Castle Inn San Francisco