New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Buena Vista Motor Inn

Buena Vista Motor Inn
Ranked #117 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Toronto Canada
“You can do better in San Francisco..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at thr Buena Vista inJuly 20-23 after finding it on Tripadvisor. The location is excellent -near to the bus lines and Fishermans Wharf. And thats about it...
We stayed in room 311 and when you walk in in the door it stank of stale cigarette smoke. The bedspread,,chairs and curtains all reeked.The furniture was like something you`d find in a Salvation army shop.The overall atmosphere was so bad we didn`t unpack and lived out of our suitcases for 3 days
I`d say that during our stay 90% of the guests were European ,mainly German , who did not speak English. Stimulating conversations with our fellow guests was non-existant.The two men who manned the front desk were unfriendly and treated it as a McJob.
If you are a smoker who likes living in an ashtray this is the place for you -otherwise LOOK ELSEWHERE !..

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed in San Francisco in November 2011. Hotels in San Fran are expensive, unfortunatley. We ended up staying at the Buena Vista Motor Inn.

PROS
- Free parking! (isn`t that what every hotel needs)
- Free (but small) breakfast
- Nice views of the Golden Gate Bridge
- Close to restaurants and attractions

CONS
-Pretty old hotel
-Small room
-It was going under some sort of renovations during our trip
-Cigarette burns on my bedsheet? Not sure
-Felt kind of crowded

I know for a fact that our stay wasn't "TERRIBLE" or "NEVER COME BACK", as some of the other reviews say. We got an average stay at the hotel for a fine price.
Would I come back? Um, probably not. I would rather look for a nicer hotel in the same area or something.
My advice to people considering this hotel: Do you want a really nice hotel for your trip in San Fran? Keep looking. But if you don't mind small motels, then this might be the place for you.
(By the way our experience in San Francisco was a gem.)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

My first intention while planning my Frisco trip was to stay next to Fishermans Wharf. However after totaling up the price after parking was included, I kept looking. I stumbled on this hotel while reading tipadviser review and ended up booking a room. This was my first time staying in San Fran and I realy felt that this hotel and it's location captured the feel of the city. I loved the room, inspite of the bed being to hard for our liking. I loved the location, and the staff went out of their way to give us directions and advice. The continental breakfast was simple, but we loved the danishes and the fruit was always fresh. If you are driving, the parking is free. It is a cramped parking area so larger vehicles will present a parking challenge, but spaces were always available during our 3 days there. Bus service to anywhere in the city is available very close to the hotel. There are plenty of dinning options within walking distance and a liquor store was just around the block. I loved my stay at this hotel and I would recommend it, especialy if you are on a tighter budget.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband join me on a business trip and wanted to stay close to Fisherman's Wharf. Prices of hotels in that area were way over my budget. We settled on the Buena Vista because it was only 1 1/2 miles from the Wharf. Being on Lombard street I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The big plus was there was free parking! The room and bath which were of a good size were clean and nicely furnished. We stayed on the third floor with easy access to a sun room lounge and deck both looking at the top of the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a nice way to meet many of the foreign visitors staying at the hotel. I was only 5 blocks from my business appointment, 3 blocks from Union Street with lots of shopping and nice restaurants, 2 miles from Union Square, a short drive to Golden Gate Park, Golden Gate Bridge and North Beach. The staff was helpful. The breakfast is fruit, pastries, coffee and tea. Enough to get you started. We'll be back.

Room Tip: 301 is next to the sun room and deck. Ask for the non street size. Very quiet.