“General manager went the extra mile”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #15 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Lake George, New York
“General manager went the extra mile”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The Chancellor was booked for my group through a travel agent who was a friend of the group. We were a large group who were attending a big event that was being hosted by the Marriott. At first I was a little anxious not to be in the host hotel but was pleasantly surprised by the charm of the hotel and helpfulness of the staff. I can honestly say I preferred the smaller, more personal feel of the hotel. The location is perfect and the price is reasonable. I requested a favour from the general manager, Wes, and he worked hard and came through for me. I don't believe the GM of the Marriott would have been as accessible or as accommodating.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter. Some rooms - I think further from the lobby, on the corners, don't hav...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words and it was my pleasure.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,086)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
chicago, il
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The Chancellor is a great place to stay. It is priced right in a fantastic location. Right at Union Square and walking distance to all the restaurants and shopping. Cable car right out the front door. The staff is friendly and professional. It is low key and relaxing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the downtown area. It is clean and charming.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Just completed a four night stay at this hotel which we found through the Tripadvisor website. We have found the rooms clean, comfortable and well fitted throughout. The location is central to all requirements with all modes of transport virtually at the door and loads of restaurants ad shopping all within walking distance. Would definitely recommend this Hotel without any reservation!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Saratoga Springs
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I arrived after a long day travelling and was immediately put off by the very busy touristy atmosphere and vibe, in and out of the hotel. My fault for not doing more research and just going with the high rating. The staff and facilities have the slightly hardened edge that comes with dealing with endless streams of older folks, foreign or out of town students and families on a budget. Everybody was perfectly nice, but the way they first looked at you was like, well.., "here's another one, sigh, when's my shift done". I was booked for two nights and there is no refund of anything after 24 hours before check in of first night, so I was stuck - I would have left for the second night if I could have. Definitely not for a good choice for business travelers. Upon going back and reading other reviews I was amazed to find the manager actually going online and criticizing reviewers he didn't like the review of - unbelievable that a professional would not respond more graciously but this is typical of the attitude that I sensed towards the guests. The manager response was curiously absent from the review where a guest found blood soaking into their fresh sheets from a soiled mattress pad, hard to find a good starting point from which to berate the guest about that one! Let's see what he or she says about me. Or not.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MarkinSaratoga
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
I am very sorry this person is put off by the tourist vibe created by older folks and people from other countries in and out of the hotel. In San Francisco we pride ourselves on acceptance of others even when they are on a budget. And, when San Francisco's #1 industry is tourism, there are going to be a lot of different people from all over and we love serving them. A vast majority of our reviews clearly show that.
It is very surprising to me that a "senior contributor" books a hotel based on the rating and does the research of reviews AFTER the stay. This is a perfect example why that is the wrong way to do it. First, TripAdvisor ratings are really a measure of the guest’s ability to select hotels that they like. If the ratings were based on quality and the like, the ratings would be in order of 5 star hotels down to 1 star hotels. Which of course, you can sort the hotels into that order to avoid ending up at lower budget tourist hotels. Of course, when we are $50-$100 less than the business class hotels, that would be an indication as well. The default ranking is a "Popularity Index" - so I guess we are highly rated because we are popular with older folks and tourists that select the right hotel for themselves.
I don't call it criticizing reviews I don't like. I call it giving both sides of the story when I think it needs it. I believe there are two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. If people think this is a one way deal, they are mistaken. They can post their comments and we can post ours. Sounds fair to me. People researching PRIOR to booking can read the comments from both sides and make an informed decision. The trick is doing the research BEFORE booking. However, even after the fact it doesn't look like this person did too much research because there are several examples of my thanks and mea culpas on a range of reviews. Even one recently about a communication error. I have also written many times that if one does not like the hotel, we will not hold them to any early departure policies. No one ever needs to stay at the Chancellor Hotel if they do not like it. Nor will we take any one's money who tells us that they don't feel happy about paying us for the experience.
I would also like to say that when people knock us for being what we are, I think that is unfair and I will defend the hotel. I will not apologize for being a part of a 100 year old 3 star hotel. Many people love the historical nature of the hotel (quirks and charm) but some don’t. That is fine if somebody doesn't appreciate an antique – but don’t knock because it is old and different.

Thanks for listening. I hope I didn't disappoint
England
Reviewed 15 September 2012

The location of the chancellor is fantastic - right on the route of 2 of the 3 cable car lines and near to the street carts. Our room faced towards the back so wasnt too noisey - would recommend this as there were a lot of bands on in the evening in union square. Rooms were tastefully decorated and a good size. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The only criticism was their restaurant where we had breakfast the first morning of our stay - very pricey and my pancakes tasted really dry and my husbands potatoes were completely uncooked and his poached eggs cooked through. Ugh. The place next door was nicer (but very popular - get there early).

• Stayed September 2012